Low pressure,small yard, best heads

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by mr.glenn, Jun 23, 2007.

1. mr.glenn

mr.glenn LawnSite Member

What are the best sprinklers heads for dealing with low water pressure, I am doing a very small,low budget yard and I only need to run 8 heads. I can get by running only 2 heads at a time. This is my first time dealing with low pressure and a pump will be over budget. thanks for any help!

2. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

pgp's with a number 8 nozzle on each zone..

::ends thread::

3. Flow Control

Flow Control LawnSite Bronze Member

Capt. is the #8 nozzles best for low pressure? Are you asking him to put 1 pgp on each zone? R-50's could work also and just adjust the speed of them.

4. Mprotators or Rain Bird rotators on 1804...

5. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

More information, please. Water supply and yard dimensions? You might get the most bang for the water with PGP's with small nozzles. If you had really low pressure, but plenty of flow, then popups with brass spray nozzles would give good coverage.

6. We have a lot of 18' spaced spray zones from the early 80s. I did a rotator conversion on one yesterday. The more I use these the more I'm liking them. The customers love em. Running a rotator zone very little waste water shows up. Pop on a spray right after it and waste is all over the place. I hope the spinning holds up-that is my only concern. We keep all sizes in full stock on our service trucks now.

7. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

How's the other half of you feel about them? Kinda like hedging your bet, isn't it? :laugh:

8. PurpHaze

Apparently contractors in our area are catching on to them also. I'm seeing more and more of them installed, even in retrofit situations.

9. This is why we are the mentally healthiest people on this site.:dancing: :dancing:

10. PurpHaze

So far we've had very good success with them and none of them has stopped rotating. The only ones we've replaced so far were MPRs installed too high by contractors and then whacked off by our mowers. For us this usually shows up as a dry area since the Toro PRX-COM bodies we install them on have their X-Flow shutoff valves take over when the MPR is sheared off. We've been very impressed with our combination of body/nozzle in these applications. The body might be a little spendy for the average homeowner (4" runs about $4.75 and 6" runs about $9.25 here plus the cost of the MPR) but they're working great with our large systems.