low pressure tire replacement

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by the lawn surgeon, Jul 26, 2006.

1. the lawn surgeon

the lawn surgeon LawnSite Member

Have a turf tiger with worn out tires . Would like to replace them with low pressure tires like on a grasshopper. Is this possible ? MY tires are 23x10.50x12

2. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

The best grasshopper tire is the Carlisle AT101. The mid mount tire size is 24x12x12 the frontmount is (AT101) 21x11x10 or (Kenda which sucks) 22x11x10. Hope this helps.

3. the lawn surgeon

Thanks for your reply. I just dont know if they will fit under my fenders?

4. probe1957

probe1957 LawnSite Member

I am in the tire business. I looked up the dimensional data on the tires you guys are discussing. It doesn't look promising.

23-1050X12 Outside diameter 22.6 Section width 10.5

24-12x12 Outside diameter 23.8 Section width 12.2

Both tire do fit on a 8.5" wide rim.

5. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Can't you just run regular tires and lower the pressue. It will work, just be careful jumping curbs etc or you can knock one off the bead. How low do you want to run? Is it for the ride or do you want the tractor tread like some Grasshoppers have. Everyone is running 8 lbs air in the Hustlers but I don't think they are a low pressure tire. I could be wrong. I ran 8-10 in my old Lazer.

6. cajuncreole

cajuncreole LawnSite Member

Exmark recommends 13 lbs per my owners manual. Would you lower it for a smoother ride? This would then throw off the height dimensions on the lift bar and a conversion would be needed, if you care about it.

7. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I have had two Exmarks and lower the pressure in the first one to below 10 lbs on all 4 tires. It mowed great, no adjustments needed. The last one has semi-pneumatic front tires so I lowered the pressure in the back tire to about 10 lbs. Cuts great no adustments needed. This is my experience. Same on the Hustler. Lots of us run 8 lbs in each tire, no adjustments. Cuts fine. If the guage is off on inches I just make a mental note, no problem. Most of them are not correct anyway. If it worrys you then I wouldn't do it.

8. the lawn surgeon

Carlisle makes an atv tire 23x10.50x12 its a knobby I might try it . I hope it doesn't tear up the lawns. My turf tiger gets very little traction granted I do need new tires. I 'm just looking to improve my safety on hills. I slid down 100 ft bank towards a road finally stopped at the bottom. That will wake you up in the morning!!!

9. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

My dealer tried the Walker aggressive tires on front mount and I believe mid mounts. And they tore the ground to hell, LOW SPEED applications only!