Low Profile Tires / Walker Decks ??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Turfer, Apr 2, 2001.

1. Turfer

Turfer LawnSite Member

I read all the old topics on this. I assume you have to have new wheels when you go to low profile tires. Is this true ? (Walker). I found a couple of places to get tires but is there anyplace to get the wheels besides the dealer ?

Anybody know a ball park price for the 52" deck ?

2. Mowman

Mowman LawnSite Senior Member

Turfer,
    The 52" deck I'm not sure of. I know that the price for a 54" SD deck is $1850.00. The low profile tires I think can only be purchased from a dealer. Yes, you have to buy the tires and wheels together. The Broker that I bought my Walker from in MO. said he could get them for me. If I remember he wanted $200.00 per set. That price was with tax and shipping. As far as the decks, he also sells new and used decks for Walkers. If you would like his e-mail address let me know and I'll look it up and his phone # also. Hope this helps.
    Mowman

3. yorkpaddy

yorkpaddy LawnSite Member

whats the advandtage of low profile tires

4. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

We have 3 different syle tires to go on our Walkers, We mainly run the aggresive all terrain low profile tires and use the others as backups. Yes low profile does give you advantages, wider tread, less bouncing around, alot more stable on hills and more! There is a difference but not real noticable unless you run both for many hours then you start seeing the difference. Our Walker 52 Inch decks (side discharge run about $1200 to $1400. Walker is and has designed a bigger GHS deck and im trying to get one to try.

5. JJ Lawn

JJ Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

How big of deck are we talking about? I am wondering if the current blower would be able to handle the flow of grass on a bigger deck. I have no problems with a 48", except when I mow rye grass. If the humidity is above .01% the rye will plug up the chute every time no matter how slow I go. :)

Also, I have one of the 52" combo mulch/side discharge decks with the tilt frame. I paid right at $2000 for it. It does a beautiful job at mulching grass, but stay away from leaves (you can't catch them anyway). The blades act like blowers and push all debris in front and over the deck covering the operator head to toe with dirt and dust. I am going to try some heavy skirting in front of the deck to try to alleviate this problem.

Jim

6. Cleve

Cleve LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Rockmart, GA

I put the low profile tires on my Walker over a year ago. About the best change I have made. Major difference in traction on hills or slopes. And less likely to mark soft turf.
    You better confirm that price. I had to pay way over $300 for the set. At least I have found replacement tires at a reasonable price (around $35 ea) from Cedar Rapids tire co.
    Cleve.

7. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

Wouldn't the more aggressive tread be more harsh on soft turf ? How is it they don't scuff as much ?

8. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

We paid $250 for three sets and they run $268 for a set at our distributor. They work better in soft terrain do to they have TRACTION over the turf tires ALOT! less damage. Low pro agressive tires and tail lock is the only way to go!!!