1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Low rate or rates not raising like they should

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 6'7 330, Oct 5, 2005.

1. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

If your landscaping and lawn care services are not priced in the range you think you should be getting ,or not rising like you think they should. If you analyzed the situation in your area, what do you think the reasons why would be?

Part timers? People in your area just don’t make their landscaping a priority concern? The economy? Hispanic start up LCO”S?
  2. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

dunno mate, but why do you guys wanna carry trees around? :p

ya wouldn't see a smart aussie doin' that! (don't say you don't see smart aussies period either! LOL!) :waving:
  3. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

We have had a very good year considering we are a new business. That being said my opinion as to your question would be a combination of three factors, geographic location, economy, and customer base.

In some areas of this country the COLA is much lower than others, hence making what you earn seem more in line with where it should be. Gas is also back up and in our area property taxes were due this past month so those not having property taxes taken out of escrow will have to pony up with that. Last but not least I really don't care where you are you will always run into some folks that just simply believe they should get landscape done or lawn service on the cheap. The first two items we have little control of, however on the last I have adhered to what alot of older members have preached on pricing, that is, this is the price take it or leave it. This has been sound advice and worked well for me as for the most part I wouldn't want to work on a project that someone wanted to get done on the cheap (to many headaches, not enough aspirin).

4. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

simple- lawnboys are idiots by nature. sound a bit harsh? it's the truth. standard procedure was laid out by the pioneers in the business, it included- giving away stuff for free, unstable billing procedures, not pursuing non payers, and never increasing thier prices. these people didn't have hindsight, and they lacked self respect. i know personally, the first 5 guys in my area that started lawn service, they were the only 5 guys servicing the surrounding 4 boroughs where we live. there was nobody else. if i took these 5 guys today, and put them in a room for a discussion, i'd leave with a throbbing headache. they are all as dumb as a bag of rocks. out of the 5-one retired broke, one still works solo and is quite wealthy, but killing himself, the other is still solo, broke, and an alchoholic, the other two.......disapeared into thin air. imagine if i were one of 5 companies in 4 townships, there were no others....i'd be a multi millionair and retired already.

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

"lawnboys are idiots by nature"

I believe the flood gates have been opened!!
  6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Actually, that quote DOES about sum it up.
    Anyone can do it - and they are. There are too many people getting into it. There are too many people doing it. There are too many people USING it (the service). It is just all too common. You get one dink after another rolling around town in "non-operation" mode. What I mean by that, is they don't have a CLUE what it costs, and frankly don't care. As long as it appears that they are putting a few bucks in their pocket,....they are good to go. Example? I talk with apt. managers and such who are paying as much for their service as they paid me 15-20 years ago. In many cases, LESS! There are just too many "temps". They go into business, are in for a few years, then crash. When they go out, there are two more to take their place. Going out and mowing lawns is not exactly rocket science, and we are certainly seeing that it takes far les than that. There are guys out there who even operation-wise are CLUEless.
  7. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

BooBy, Much like Bob Denver's charter Gilligan of Gilligan's Island Fame, can now be seen in RE-RUNS. How many times have we seen the "lawnboys are idiots"???? There are about 5 main Ideas that BooBy recycles in his well over 10,000 posts of dribble(off tropic are not in post count).

BooBy not unlike Gilligan, gets himself into some very stupid statement, but some how we still laugh at our LITTLE BUDDY.
  8. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

I don't compete with the lawn boyz so the biggest reason I can see if your not getting what you need is lack of kahunas. If you don't have them and use them to raise rates then you will soon be gone with the rest of the part time lawn boyz. Its surprising what customers will pay when they know what they will recieve.
  9. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

I think we have to look at the over all picture of our Economy. The powers to be allowed Corporate America to move our industry to other countries in a theory called GLOBALIZATION. BTW our Technology also. This LEFT us with a Service economy only. It is no wonder there is more competition and lower prices today. I am not sure how we can survive as service Industry business people. but feel we may in fact have to do BMW work at VW pricing in order to survive, if in fact this countries economy can survive.

Be careful what you wish for. We got Globalization and don't know what to do with it.
  10. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree.Lawnboyz do not have the know-how knowledge or means to manage property and estates.
    If lawnboyz were my competition, I would pursue another avenue to make a living.