1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

low rpm mowing

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by TaterToter, Apr 18, 2012.

1. TaterToter

TaterToter LawnSite Member

I have some rough/rocky/rooty areas behind my house. Would it damage my zero turn to throttle down to mow it so I'm not sucking up dirt, rocks, sticks, etc? Not so much concerned about cut quality, just want to keep weeds and briers beat back.
  2. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

You can throttle down with no problems...but why not remove the debris?
    Posted via Mobile Device
  3. TaterToter

TaterToter LawnSite Member

It's a hillside. It grows rocks. It was a wooded area that we had cleared and washouts after big rains bring in and uncover more rocks and sticks. I move the big ones, but there are literally millions of small rocks. I kind of like having it as a natural area, too. It's a work in progress kind of thing.
    Thanks for your help.
  4. KeepingUp

KeepingUp LawnSite Member

When I first started using my exmark lazer, I tried mowing at half throttle. I found the mower eratic. When I increased the throttle, the control I was used to having with my previous ztr returned. Under lower rpms, the pump may not drive the wheel motors smoothly. You may wish to experiment to find the sweet spot for your situation.