1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

low RPM's on blades--need help

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by NateinAtl, Jul 8, 2001.

1. NateinAtl

NateinAtl LawnSite Member
    from Atlanta

I have a problem with my exmark turftracer. the blades just aren't doing good. They are really struggling and causing a burning smell. I have a new belt on, new oil, sharp doubles, and all greased up. Still the problem. I have checked the spindles and they seem OK to me. I have the same problem whether it be single blades or double. It just boggs down in the thick bermuda turf. The thing is, I haven't had this problem before. even real high grass. What else can I check for? And what about that burning smell?--is that just because I put on a new belt? Thanks in advance
  2. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

You did not say what motor you have, but are the rpms right when blades are not engaged. The burning smell would not be from a new belt. They say if the spindle bearings are bad you would be able to move the blade up and down, have you checked this? Mabey something might be wedged under one of the pullyeys, mabey one is going bad. I thought mine were going bad and it was gumballs under the pulley, making it move slower.The burning smell seems to be something with the puleys, belts. Could the belt have twisted?
  3. Shawn Burns

Shawn Burns LawnSite Member
    from N.C.

as mentioned before, what motor/ deck combo is it? i had a toro z master 23 horse kohler 52 inch deck. had a blade problem with it too. after a year of taking it to the dealer and them telling me i was crazy and after pulling most of my hair out we (the head mechanic and myself) pulled it into their shop after hours so as not to run the repair bill up and fixed it! after checking rpm's and re-releveling the deck and lord knows what else, we found a pulley at rear of mower to be 1/8 inch too wide. (from the factory) we put a new pulley on it and my problems were solved!!
  4. what engine
    is it an HP
  5. NateinAtl

from Atlanta

Guys, it's a kawaski 17 horse power. I really appreciate you trying to help me figure this out. And yes, it is an Exmark Turf Tracer HP
  6. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

Just a shot in the dark,but I bet the new belt is a little longer,and its slipping in thick grass,it would give a bad cut,a burning smell,and do just what he said.The belt could be the wrong one,or need to be adjusted tighter,this is just my guess.
  7. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I think you hit the nail on the head with that one John. I know that some belt companies use different ways of measuring a belt. For example, my mowers uses a B80, but if I get a different belt brand, I may need a B81 to work on my machines. If your mower Mfg used a B81 for example, that came from this same belt company, you may have to use a B80 from this other belt company. I hope this made sense. :)

I would check the belts first also.
  8. carl28

carl28 LawnSite Member

is the idler greased and operating smoothly the belt situation would be nullified with the idler operating smoothly check for slop in your spindles by holding the center of you blades and pushing and pulling them any play is bad, p.s. pull your plugs first.!!!!!!\
  9. NateinAtl

from Atlanta

I have the right belt on. Should I take a set of blades off and just go with singles? Also, I have the mulching kit on, if this means anything. It happened again today. I have to go extremly slow for the blades to spin as fast as they should. And like I said, this is a new problem. I've mowed thicker and higher grass before. Very frustrating. Does anyone else have any suggestions?
  10. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

The problem is with your belts,you just said the blades slow down,if the engine stays wound up the belts are slipping,find out why,is oil leaking on it?is grease on it,or is the tensioner spring broken,or stretched.I still think the belt is maybe 1/2" to long .Its doubtfyl that the blades are slipping on the spindles,but its possible.