Low speed

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by perky99, Aug 24, 2006.

1. perky99

perky99 LawnSite Member

My Murray walk behind all the sudden does the have any RPM, just idle. It is a B&S,12F702-0714 engine. I changed fuel, filter ,plug rebuilt carb, still when it starts just an idle. I can manually open throttle and it runs up. I have noticed the after it starts the throttle is near or at the start position. I,m beginning to think there is a spring gone, presently there is the linkage to the crankcase Governor and one to the throttle arm. Small engine parts warehouse suggest by there carburetor parts list there might be a third part. I ordered all three but do not have a clue where or how it would hook up Thanks. My first time out.

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

The main throttle control spring (the one with the long eye on one end) hooks to the loop on the throttle rod (link) The other end hooks to a hole on the control assembly where a throttle cable would hook.
    Briggs has no good pics. to post so I hope you get the idea.

3. perky99

perky99 LawnSite Member

Thanks Restrorob, when the springs come in we will see. Perky99

4. perky99

perky99 LawnSite Member

The spring made no differance. however it seems that the governor is keeping it from speeding up, I can see a small amount of movement I suspect its because the governor may be working some. Just how does a crankcase governor work any way. Thanks

5. Restrorob

OK perky, It took some doing but I made this pic. up for you.

Start the engine and set the throttle at wide open and do as the pic. says.

I have seen many W/B's come in and the customer had shoved the unit up under something while mowing (mobile home, Bushes ect.) and bent the high speed adjustment tang back then they had no high speed RPM.
    Give this a try and see if it doesn't solve your problem.

[​IMG]

6. Jim@MilkyWay

Jim@MilkyWay LawnSite Senior Member

Err,, Uhmmm,, did my Mozilla browser toss the link?
    I had a link in there somewhere near bottom of post, but not anything usable or visible.

7. Restrorob

Hey Jim, You sayin the pic. isn't showing up ???

8. Jim@MilkyWay

That's it.
    But then I don't use "Internet Exploder" nor "Netscape Aggrivator" to browse.

9. Restrorob

OK, Here's another try. :dizzy:

[​IMG]

10. Jim@MilkyWay

I don't have a putfile log-in.
    How would I find the file once in?