1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Low spots, not enough soil?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by alpine692003, Mar 25, 2004.

1. alpine692003

alpine692003 LawnSite Bronze Member

Question guys,

I have this one customer, when it rains, her little patch of grass between 2 garden beds are soaking wet, muddy.

(garden bed) ||||||| (garden bed)

This part gets muddy and all wet when it rains, she has a little patch in the rear when you open the gate similiar thing happens.

I was wondering, what would you guys suggest how to fix it? I suggested to her;

I bring in 1 yard of topsoil, dump it on the spot (I think its low or not level, or not enough soil??.) I spread the topsoil over the low spot, metal rake it and even it out, then apply grass seed.

I was thinking about doing this method to the 2 patches and she has some low spots in the rear yard as well; so I will be adding topsoil to the lowspots, level it with ametal rake and then apply grass seed and put burlap over the patches where I applied grass seed..

What do you guys think?
  2. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

Listen, you need to make sure that by filling in area's that you think are low that you dont create a problem somewhere else. I.E. you push the water somewhere else on the property.

French drain or underdrain perforated pipe might be a better solution, given the problem isn't that the lawn isn't graded correctly.
  3. alpine692003

alpine692003 LawnSite Bronze Member

I'll post some pictures tmrw and see what you guys say..