1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Low sulfur diesel...JUNK!

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by kc2006, May 29, 2006.

1. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

So whats with this new low sulfur diesel and the label saying "Not for use in 2007 vehicles and later"? So in other words if you buy a 2007 diesel you can't buy fuel for it anywhere???

This stuff is junk though, last week I averaged only 10mpg! I'm normally up near 19-20mpg, and I even added my fuel additive as I've read you should with this new crap.

Just another way to keep the people down.
  2. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

Bio diesel is my friend. :rolleyes:
  3. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

I'm trying to find a biodiesel outlet around here. Local co-op is closed today for the holiday so I'll have to call tomorrow. I found some places about an hour away, going to call them and see how much and if I can get it in 5 gal drums only.

From what I've read, if you supplement this low sulfur junk with a couple gallons of biodiesel, it will replenish all the lost lubricants. If I had more time, I'd start brewing biodiesel myself, I found a nice kit online that's pretty cheap but just don't have the time to go out and get the oil and then brew it.
  4. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

KC, to my knowledge regular low sulfur desiel should not be used in the '07 diesels, however the new ULTRA low Sulfur diesel will be fine. If you don't see a sticker, your good to go.

The majority of the stations are switching this month to ULTRA low sulfur, and you will see the stickers dissapear.
  5. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

The stickers are there to prevent 07 year vehicles from using the low sulfur diesel that is still in the pipelines. It will take a few weeks of purging until all of the end product diesel at the pumps has a low enough sulfur content. Complete BS if ya ask me. You dont see china freaking out about sulfur in their diesel.
  6. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

'07 Stinks, especially for the truck industry.

I work for a large truck leasing corp. We(and many of our customers) are rushing to get '06 models into the fleet, before the '07s come out. The prices of the trucks, both class 7 and 8, are going WAY up due to all the emissions/particulate filter BS going on. As if the EGR mandate didn't cause enough BS problems, now it's going to get worse.
  7. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

I have heard about the particulate filters going onto the trucks...pretty bad no? Atleast you supposidly dont have to clean/replace them as the engine will increase fueling and burn the contaminants off no? Correct me if I am wrong here.

IMO it is ******** that America has to go through all of this crap with the EPA and their Tiers of regulations. How about some international cooperation?
  8. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

Honestly, I do not know a bunch of details. I do know one one make(I believe it was Detroit Diesel), the particulate filter is under the frame somewhere, it just looks like a second muffler. As far as I know, they DO have a replacement interval. But like I said, not a bunch of details right now.