1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Low tree limbs in your way when Mowing!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MOOSE, May 31, 2006.

1. MOOSE

MOOSE LawnSite Senior Member

Those pesky low hanging tree limbs that hang real low and in the way. You know the ones. The suckers almost knock you off the mower if your not paying attention. I had a Sargent Crab today just about poke my eye out.

Do you cut them off without permission or ask permission.

I have lots of new clientale with branches that need cut. I'm tired of ducking or getting a mouthful of leaves.
  2. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

We ask and explain we will do it free simply to make it easier for us to cut and allows us to do a better job.
  3. nbizati

nbizati LawnSite Member

I would call your customer and ask if
    a. they would like to do it themselves
    b. Charge them a few extra dollars to cut them back
    c. charge them a lot more to duck under them.

4. My son got poked in the face really good today too. Cut him in the eyebrow.

I'd get permission...no, I'd get the job of pruning the trees.
    Just get one of those Ortho books on pruning from Lowe's and go at it.
    Because even really poor pruning is better than no pruning.

It pays good too. We've been pruning all week.

Oh, just check with your insurance for coverage. I'm insured to prune "from the ground"

Good luck.

5. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

Some people here let their oaks hang down at the perimeter just a few inches from the ground. It makes a nice shade envelope inside. Have to cut it with a 21, let branches rest on your shoulder for clearance to mow, really slows you down and puts you in awkward positions. No way will they let you cut the branches. In some localities you could get fined.

For the stuff hanging down due to ordinary neglect of the landscape, always ask permission, or better yet, talk it over at quote time.

Some folks here just love to have their crepe myrtles look like crap, and if you pruned the sucker branches away for free they would go crazy. They want it to be a tree AND a crappy bush, and the sucker branches poke you in the face and get tangled up in the wb controls. I kid you not, they have told me that the properly pruned crepe myrtles on commercial locations and strip malls look terrible compared to their tree/crap bushes that look so unkempt. Now that I know the drill, I put some extra in the estimate for using the 21 and trimmer where it should not have to be used.
  6. absolutelawnman

absolutelawnman LawnSite Member

We go around in February and cut everything in the mowing path, we call and just tell them what we are doing, they understand. It is great money in Feb.
  7. scagwildcat

scagwildcat LawnSite Senior Member
    from nw. ct.

thats so funny i just dropped a client because of this, for the past few years the trees have been growing wild, they are tree lovers and they told me that the only cut trees when they are dead. i got so sick of getting knocked on the head every week, ive even explained that prunning is good for the tree, they didnt care, no cutting !!! so i jacked up the price told they why, or otherwise i cant mow for them, i ant mowin no mo lol lol lol
  8. phototropic1

phototropic1 LawnSite Member
    from MS

That brings back memories for me JayRay. I grew up in Gulfport in the shade of many Live Oaks that had low hanging branches that you could walk up like stairs. Haven't made it down there since Katrina. Did the Friendship Oak in Long Beach survive the storm?:waving:
  9. phototropic1

phototropic1 LawnSite Member
    from MS

Oh, and JayRay, what do you consider to be a properly pruned Crape Myrtle? Obviously there are some different opinions out there on this one. I hate those scraggly, sucker infested one's you're talking about.
  10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I have never had a problem not asking permission but then I do the low-hanging branch pruning for free, it is part of the service, I explain. Most of them say it looks good as I only clear up the really low stuff, I don't mind ducking a little but this jungle crap I can not tolerate.

I have fiskar shears mounted to the Wb for the smaller stuff, lopers in the truck for the slightly larger ones and a chainsaw for the nastiest, but usually the shears or the lopers do the trick.