Low Volt Dimmer.....Help!!

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by Go Halogen, Nov 10, 2007.

1. Go Halogen

Go Halogen LawnSite Member

Hello All,

Now I know we have discussed low volt dimmers before, but I really need a decent, easy to install, reliable model (and quickly). I finished a job two weeks ago and the client now would like the ability to dim one of my zones.

The fixtures are around some over appreciated artwork that probably cost a pretty penny. They like the effect but want the control option.

I have looked around and can not find anything local?

Please help.......

Thanks in advance!

-Andy

2. Chris J

Chris J LawnSite Silver Member

Andy,
    Sounds like you need some good advice, and you need it now. I suggest you call Gerry De La Vega at Terradek 1-800-609-1130. He is my go-to guy when all else fails. You won't find a more resourseful and knowledgable person about this business. He can answer all of your questions, and give you answers to questions that you didn't ask.

3. JoeyD

JoeyD LawnSite Silver Member

Gerry has access to the dimmers I have used. I dont think he was continuing buinsess with this manufacturer but I think last I spoke about these he had a few of the 10amp versions left.

4. sprinkler guy

sprinkler guy LawnSite Member

When I spoke to them last week they only had the 20 amp version available. Still does the same thing, it dims on the low voltage side of the transformer. I just ordered two of them.

5. NightScenes

NightScenes LawnSite Silver Member

The only problem with the 20 amp dimmers is that they are soooo big!! You need a 2 gang box to put them in. I have a couple of the 10 amp dimmers in stock if Gerry is out. I think you might also be able to get them through CLL.

6. JoeyD

JoeyD LawnSite Silver Member

Thats what it was, it was the 20 amp! My bad. Yeah I think you need to run the 20amp in a double gang switch box.

7. Go Halogen

Go Halogen LawnSite Member

Thank you all very much for the info. Are these dimmers the ZANE Industry dimmers? They look good but I can not find them? I will call Gerry tomorrow.
    In this case....Size does not matter. I can attach inside a gazebo, on the side of a 4x4.

I wonder if I can get two by Thursday????

Thanks Guys.

-Andy

8. NightScenes

NightScenes LawnSite Silver Member

If you call Gerry tomorrow, you should have them in plenty of time.

9. pete scalia

pete scalia LawnSite Senior Member

I should let you drown instead of throwing you a life preserver based on the way you treat me but here you go even though it goes against my best judgement.

http://www.platinumlightinginc.com/html/12vac.html

10. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

I guess I'm either out of the lop or missing something here guys.
    I have only used dimmers with incandescent PAR 36 and SCB lamps.

Are you using these with halogen lamps? Are you saying that the halogen cycle when not using the dimmer is enough so as not to shorten the life of the lamps?

If so, what are you telling your customers about how often they can use the dimmer?