Low Volume Herbicide Suggestions

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by TLS, Mar 23, 2008.

1. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

What are you ride-on guys using for broadleaf herbicide?

I have a little Speedzone left and was going to use that up on my first round. I like it for it's cool weather performance. But what do you suggest for a general broadleaf control product and why?

Any tips on mix ratios on PG Magnums you care to share would be helpful as well.

Thanks,

2. MStine315

MStine315 LawnSite Senior Member

I know I've been ripped on for this in the past, but it works for me. For "general" broadleaf I use Trimec 992. Why? It's cheap and it works. Now, for cool weather, or for ground ivy, high populations of clover, violets, etc... (which I wouldn't call general), I'll use the Momentums, Milleniums, etc... But I've had success with 992 and will continue to use it. We are at the 1.1 oz. rate (1.5 qt. acre) and add spreader sticker and foam knockdown. Our fill sheet for the Magnum is based on 65 gal. water and 2.5 gal. 992. This way we aren't using partial jugs.

3. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Use whatever you have been using in the past.

If it worked for you before the PG....why change?

I personally use Three Way (50-55 oz/ac) and Quick Silver (1oz/ac).This is technically the exact same thing as Speedzone just cheaper when you mix it yourself!

AWESOME control!

4. bj22

bj22 LawnSite Member
    from ny

I go at 60 oz of red zone per 12 gal perma green. Seems to work good. Delayed reaction on hardened of clver

5. pieperlc

pieperlc LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

I use almost exclusively speedzone. When not using speedzone, Trimec 992 is choice. Speedzone at 1.3 oz/1000, Trimec 992 at 1.25 oz/1000.

Mstine- why have you been bashed for the 992? You're right, it's cheap, fast, and it works great for general use. I also like using the Trimec for spot spraying in warmer weather. I use the speedzone for the cool weather, heavy infested yards.

A little off topic, but a point that has baffled me somewhat. The Trimec 992 label says do not broadcast when air temperatures are above 85 degrees. The Speedzone label says do not broadcast when air temps are above 90 degrees. This seems strange to me because the trimec is an amine while speedzone is an ester.

6. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks guys.

pieper, My guess on the temp issue is their way of CYA. I've spot sprayed speedzone here and there in the heat and really never had an issue.....blanket spraying of anything in high temps can get dicey.

7. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

I use Trimec 899 and Super Trimec. I have also used Trimec Plus because it has the post emergent crabgrass control in it. Super Trimec is a little more expensive, but knocks down a little quicker, and is cheaper than Speedzone.

I have also used Trimec 899 mixed with Octane, it does not add much cost at all, and knocks down most weeds really fast, including clover)

8. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

When you guys say "cheap" for the 992...what is cheap?

I have never priced it!

Are you talking less then $20/gallon?

9. LIBERTYLANDSCAPING

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

UAP Mec Amine-D (3-Way) w/ LI 700 penetrant/spreader. CHEAP & works great! <$20/Gal. Speedzone @ $50/Gal. is Way to expensive for my taste & I also carry carfentrazone w/ me to splike my 3-way. Way more cost effective!:)

10. tremor

tremor LawnSite Bronze Member

Try Triplet LO. It's the only herbicide available that was specifically engineered for Low Volume treatments. It's also a Low Odor formulation.

5-220 gals/Acre is a pretty wide margin.

http://www.cdms.net/LDat/ld6B6000.pdf