Low Volume Insectcide

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by PR Fect, Jun 15, 2007.

1. PR Fect

PR Fect LawnSite Bronze Member

Has anyone used their low volume sprayer to spray bifenthrin, merit or some other insecticide? I want to use my ProLawn sprayer to spray for chinch bugs. I would think that the product would not reach the thatch layer, and there for do little good unless watered in. Anyone with a ProLawn, Z-spray, or Permagreen use them for chinch? By not using a tank sprayer,do you still get control even with the low volume of liquid? How about for grubs?

2. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

PR

IMHO low volume is not as effective as high volume lower AI. It cost more to put down High Volume lower AI or less chemicals than high AI and low Volume.

But if you have irrigation and run it right after you spray the low volume can work. The problem comes in getting the customer to work with you on irrigating. That is why I stick with high Volume of at least 5 gallon per thousand. But that is My opinion.

3. PR Fect

Ric its a high valued opinion by me. One of the first things I learned about 6 years ago was from one of your posts. Thanks, again. The problem comes in were as I do not have a high volume tank sprayer, or do I have customers who will water. Hell I can barely get them to water when we do a new seeding. Rained in is my only choice. All those LV sprayers that are so hot right now, and they only work well with herbicides? Anyone disagree with Ric?

4. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

PR

An other way to go is granules, Not the fast knock down but a greater Residual. Yes I do herbicides as a low volume like everyone else. As for the Spread and Sprays units they do have there place. My spread & Spray is in fact a home made unit on a Walker Frame that is low volume spray.

Tanking and carrying water is expensive. Larger trucks at high insurance and fuel costs. Larger tanks and pumps also. Production wise a Spread & Spray can cover more ground quicker.

5. PR Fect

Ric yes, I was looking at Lesco CrossCheck for the bifenthrin. $1.35 per K for liquid. $3.65 per K for granular my price. Thats why I want someone to tell me that I can do what I think I should not.:rolleyes:

6. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

PR

OMG what rate are you applying?? Or maybe how bad are you grabbing your ankles, Lesco sure isn't giving you much of a break. I can kill chinch bugs on 7 K including stricker for less than it costs you for one K.

7. ampeg76

ampeg76 LawnSite Senior Member

i would like to know what company you get your bifenthrin, if thats what your using, from ha ha ha!

i use 3/4 ounce per k, cost is around $0.63 would love to get 7k at your price:)

next batch of bifenthrin i get will be from helena, i'm tired of getting jacked with by le$co's pricing tiers

8. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

I am paying $0.43 an Oz for genetic 7.9 Bifenthrin in gallon jugs. I use about the same rate as you do maybe just a little less. I bought Cross Check from Lesco the other day in 3/4 gallon jugs for about what I pay for a Gallon. Truth is I pay more per Oz for dish soap as a surfactant than I do for the Bifenthrin.

9. Rob.C

Rob.C LawnSite Member

I spray talstar and merit at about 225-275 psi, I have the lesco 200gal space saver, awsome unit.

10. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Rob C

I am sure you cover a lot of ground in a short period of time at that pressure. Maybe more ground than you plan too.