Low Volume Irrigation Could be a Smart Choice

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Water Wizard, Jan 11, 2008.

1. Water Wizard

Water Wizard LawnSite Member

Water shortages and restrictions aren't just a west coast problem anymore. I guess we all need to consider use of low volume products as part of our irrigation designs. I notice that Weathermatic has added a low volume line of products to their offerings. Apparently they acquired a west coast company called Salco. I have used Salco products before. They are excellent quality and have been around for a long time. Point of need emitters, low volume bubblers, microsprays and inline drip can be a good alternative for flower beds, foundation watering, hanging baskets, ground cover, etc. Water savings for low volume zones can be 75%. Has anyone else had experience with low volume products?
  2. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

We use drip on all isolated beds , have been for about 6 yrs now.
  3. Hello......salesman....and yes I have been using drip irrigation for over 15 years..
  4. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I brought back a Xerigation tech manual (Rainbird's) from a trip to California, but it's nothing with any kind of track record in freezing climates (Like, can you winterize it) ~ and you can't see it work.

The Rainbird drip displays have all but disappeared from distributor floors.
  5. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

:nono::nono: You know the answer to that....
  6. Wet_Boots

....yeah, you know it stops working when your plants die. Real simple :p
  7. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

:laugh: I was referring to your favorite micro-sprinkler.
  8. h2oman

h2oman LawnSite Member

I have been using it for 7 years now. Only in planting beds though. I have been resaerching the Netafim claims of using their drip for sub-surface for a year now. The only problem I see with it is that the Trifluralin has been reported to cause cancer. That maybe a liability in using it near a watershed. They have a lot of info on the website, but still have not found anyone around me or neighboring states that has used in that way. Saves a lot of water over rotors and sprays.
  9. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

I do not wish to switch to your brand of low volume irrigation products, and yes, drip/ low volume is standard and neccesary on all systems here. Hello, this is like 2008.
  10. Wet_Boots

(Looks up from the 8-track tape he's trying to repair) It is? Dayammm. :dizzy: