"Lowballer" DENIED.....ha ha

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawn-Sharks, Apr 10, 2008.

1. Lawn-Sharks

Lawn-Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

I was bidding on some city mowing and when i went to the mandatory prebid meeting 18 companys show up me being one of them. So at the meeting i ask whats the city budget the officials respond $80,500 .....ok sounds good.
    we submit our bid and the big day arrives i show up for the opening and i was the only one who showed up thats cool makes it easier to shmooze the city folk. So the grand total was 6 bids i was thinking ok i got a good chance at getting this when they open the sealed bids and were reading the amounts and one company was lowballing like like a mother f#cker with a bid of $45,000 i was like what the hell? I bid $72,560 and i was the second highest bid. The highest bid was $74,000 and their was a medium bid of $60,000 so i was like oh well more lowballers whatever! So a week later i get a letter from the city stating that that stinking lowballer that bid $45,000 didnt get it...ha ha ha ha sucker thats what you get! but the letter did say that the $60,000 bidder had won the bid..ok but still $60,000 wasn't enough considering the amount of work and $80,500 was the budget (your giving up $20,500)so i went throu his hole bid sheet and said theirs no way this guy is going to last theirs not enough money for profit or rising fuel cost! So i called the city officials and told them if your guy doesn't work out for you give me a call and i would be happy to come rebid any work he couldn't handle and the head guy said no problem and that he wanted us to get it but we were to high and if this lawn company falls behind he would call us.. I said thank you sir have a good day! Just goes to show you Lowballers are everywhere....

2. JimmyStew

JimmyStew LawnSite Senior Member

How could your bid be "too high" when the city budgeted $80,500?? Obviously someone there thought the contract would be worth something in that neighborhood. I'm assuming they put this out to bid on a regular basis and at some point in the not so distant past spent close to $80k on mowing? Some days I wonder who is dumber, the contractor or the idiot hiring them?

3. TNT LawnCare Inc.

TNT LawnCare Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats alot of money still .. what was involved as far as the maintenance outline to be performed ?

4. Lawn-Sharks

With out waisting to alot of time explaining they sent us 15 pages of pictures of outlined areas "hole pages" of work "just the work" not any other mumbo jumbo legal stuff or bid lingo just mowing trimming & mulching throu out the city it was a lot of work!

5. Lawn-Sharks

This contract comes up for bid every 3 years I checked and the last time it came up for bid the winner that was awarded the contract was in the $70,000 ballpark so i dont know what the heck happen just that they found a lawn company to do it really cheap! i quess the left over cash will be going into someone pocket.

I just dont know how these guys are doing it for that price. I have very low overhead and i couldn't do it for any less then what my bid price was.

6. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Just wondering.

Were you planning on doing this $70k+ work with your mowers you have in your signature line?

Cause if you were, I could cut your price by more than probably 15% by using 72" mowers, and even more using my 15' Tri-deck.

Just because someone's lower, doesn't necessarily mean their profit margin is lower.

7. gravedigger5

gravedigger5 LawnSite Senior Member

Lawn-Sharks sorry you did not get the job, but LwnmwrMan22 has a point. One of my properties that took 2.5 hrs with a 60" plus trim and blow dropped to 1.9 hrs with a 72" mower. Plus how big is the company that beat you out? Maybe they got their labor costs down and can operate on a smaller profit margin buy doing more volume. Not trying to make you mad, just my 2cnts Marc

8. gravedigger5

gravedigger5 LawnSite Senior Member

And by the way it does make you feel better knowing that the lowballer did not get it:) I had a job the past several years that they were happy with my work, so last year when I bid they gave it to me even though somebody else underbid me. Most the people on the board realized my quality and reliability and did not want to take chance on lowballer.

9. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

I am starting to do the same thing here in regards to big properties. I am taking 1-3 machines, being toro 455-D's and getting in and out. Anymore they don't care about lines, stripes, neatness - they care about bottom line. If I can come in under there budget but yet within my profit margins - why not go that route. The guy with the 48, 52, or 60 inch deck - gloves are off and I am a swingen this year!

10. Lawn-Sharks

Thats a bold answer seeing how you havn' seen the work. Besides it's not the mower size with these areas of work because a 72" wouldn't even fit. Also we had to submit a equipment list priar to bidding to ensure we all had the proper equipment and enough equipment to handle the job. Our equipment was approved others were not. Thanks for your reply