Lowballer gggggggggrrrrrrrrrr

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by wacaweed, Jun 16, 2006.

1. wacaweed

wacaweed LawnSite Member

This is just a vent so bear with me, The other day I wen t to give a customer an estimate and it came to 530.00. and she said she had 2 other LCO's coming to give an estimate, so I said no big deal just give me a call. Now this was about 100.00 worth of seed and straw, she wanted and area 150'x10' that were old grape vines and bushed taken down to dirt and a flowwer bed 30'x20' also taken down to dirt both were grown up with weeds and other crap then the 200'x4' leveled seeded and strawed as well as the brush dumped in a pile way back behind the house ( can use truck ) I figured it was a days work. Now I thought I have a very fair estimate due to the fact it was mostly labor. SO she calls me back and says she is going with the other LCO that was 330.00 cheaper than mine. WTF he's doing it for 200.00 and 100.00 I know is materials HAHA man is he up for a rude awakinging. I tell ya 2 steps forward and 4 back. Thanks all I feel better :hammerhead:

2. OMG

OMG LawnSite Senior Member

Very few people bother to call to say they went with a lower bid.

My guess is she wanted you to lower your price.

It's good to hear you stuck with it.

3. 1PRO

1PRO LawnSite Member

The public is always looking for a under cutter:nono: any way where bouts are you in richmond, va

4. wacaweed

wacaweed LawnSite Member

I am in the Lynchburg VA area

5. 29 Palms Property Management

29 Palms Property Management LawnSite Senior Member

I agree. Good for you and staying with what you know it'll take to do the job. Let the other guy bust his butt and lose money with that one.

6. Mac_Cool

Mac_Cool LawnSite Member

In case she is sincere, I would have warned her that the job was misbid and that nothing good could come from hiring the person who misbid the job. Be polite, but just be honest, tell her you know your profession, you know how much the materials cost and to be careful. Several times I have had a customer call me back a few days, or week+ later and tell me they lost confidence in the other company, appreciated my candor and offered me the job. One of the largest projects I've ever worked on was won exactly that way.

Just make sure you bid it right to begin with. I've been on the other side as well where I was a fraction of the price of a competitor who somehow way overbid the job.

7. rshofcols

rshofcols LawnSite Member
    from ohio

remember dont sweat the small fecal matter and charge what you are worth. Nobody went out of business for charging to much

8. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Your lucky you got a phone call turning you down! Most around here wouldn't even bother!

9. freddyc

freddyc LawnSite Senior Member

You're lucky you didn't get it. Those grape vines are no where near as easy to get out and if you just whack them off at ground level, God help you cause they will grow back tenfold.

I dug out about 1000 ft of vines in an area about 20' wide by 150' long.... some of them went down about 2'. They are almost impossible to get rid of.

10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

It is funny thou, when you stop and think about this because:
    1) Found someone cheaper? Soooo.... what are we doing on the phone? Have a nice day! click
    2) Never do they come around with some reasonable discount, like say the other Lco wants to do it for 450 or thereabouts, it's almost always way out there in another ballpark entirely.
    3) NEVER play me against another bid, I will hang up / run / leave.

But it did take years until I got to that point, I used to get SOoooo mad... Guess who, half the time, gets mad now? yup, THEM !!! Seriously, I've had them go off on me before when their tactic wouldn't work.
    So you know you got it down good when at least sometimes, they get mad as all hell... I did figure out, in a scam situation, someone's going to get ticked off, which is weird: Seeing how they're the ones scamming, why should they be angry if it doesn't work?
    Even funnier is when they THINK they got you but in reality they didn't, and it dawns on them come time to pay lol.