Lowballer making me look bad

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by evergreenlawn, Jun 10, 2001.

1. evergreenlawn

evergreenlawn LawnSite Member

I lost a cemetery this year that I have been doing for the last seven years. The guy cutting it has missed special cuttings the cemetery requires and has broken two head stones. He also leaves grass all over the stones. The problem is most people assume I still mow the cemetery. The trustees know whats going on and can not get this guy to return there calls. What should be done to let the people know I dont maintain the property anymore?

I found this info out from one of the trustees and he said they were trying to get rid of the guy.

2. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

The reason you lost the account? That would piss me off too. I understand exactly what your saying. Do you think they learned they're lesson yet? Or when they fire this guy, or his contract runs out are they still going to go with the low bidder?

Its a shame we let people like that even exist in the industry. Not enough people want to get educated and change their pricing techniques to match industry standards in their area. They only look at their bottom line, As long as they're making money they don't care if they bring the whole industry down with them.

People should see the work he's doing, and realize its not you. I can't think if any other way of notifying people that your not doing it anymore, sorry.

Word of mouth gets around, so once you set a few people straight about your status at this job, it should spread as fast as any bad rumors going around.

Have you tried introduing yourself to this LCO, and maybe bringing him here for advice? It may help, who know's.

Good Luck !

3. jjfehr

jjfehr LawnSite Member

press release in the local paper! not rude-like, just letting people know that you no longer maintain the cemetary and that the xxxx company now maintains the property.
    Never tried this before, but it is worth a try!

4. evergreenlawn

Yes Guido, it was the price. Not a big difference either. Get this, none of the other trustees knew I lost it until I sent a letter to all of them. Just " its been a pleasure to serve you" letter. Not a complaint that I lost it. I picked up two more accounts worth more than that one and they take about half the time, including travel.

5. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

As long as you left on a good note, that makes you the much better man in the matter! Let what happens next happen, and don't sweat this guy!

6. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Is this all you have to worry about? If you cut it for the last seven years and it looked good, you also must have other customers that know your work, well if all of a sudden this place started looking like crap people are probably going to realize that someone else now takes care of it. Eventually they will see the new person doing it and/or will figure it out sooner or later. Quit worrying about something like that, do you really think one situation like this is going to put you out of business? Move on!

7. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

You left the employ of the cemetary in good standing, and there is nothing you can do about the poor workmanship the current LCO is providing, short of doing it for free yourself.

Dont look back, look forward.

8. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

DONT SWEAT IT!!! Good news travels fast and bad news travels at the speed of light. If people know that you have consistently performed a given appearance to the property and then it changes drastically, yet your other known properties are not suffering asthetically - they will know that you have not gotten the bid.

Deductive Reasoning shall prevail!!!!!

Kris

9. evergreenlawn

Don't misunderstand me. I'm not worrying about it. I was just told by one of the trustees yesterday that people think it's me. I have been called by one complaining person, I told them I was not given the contract and who she could call. I just don't want people thinking I'm tearing the place up. You all are right, enough people know so it will get around.

Thanks

10. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Tough situation, maybe it's time for you to point out the problems and get the job back...unless you don't want it.

Good luck.