LOWBALLERS? advertising in local paper!!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by keepoffthegrass, Apr 26, 2005.

1. keepoffthegrass

keepoffthegrass LawnSite Member
    from Ontario

Hi, I plan on getting insurance and going legal (and "big") next year so I was browsing through our newpaper (windsorstar) and I can't believe what i'm seeing. Theres a company in here... well i'll just type out the add;

PONDS & LAWN, Aerating & Fertilizing starting at $40.00 (would that be both or each?) Weekly lawn Cutting starting @ $19.95, free estimates blah blah 10% off for seniors.

Now those are Canadian prices so 40 cdn = 33US and 19.95 cdn = about 16 something US.

I am 15 and i already charge alot more then that! Im sure those prices are for small 5k sqF or less yards but i was thinking my minimum would be 35 cdn next yr for the small lawns and about 40 for fert and another 40 for aerate for tiny lawns...

What do you guys charge for small 5k or less yards? im sure you dont charge 16 bux, hell! you would lose money! what do you guys think of this? are they low ballers or is that the going rate im going to have to compete with??

2. keepoffthegrass

from Ontario

I can get 15-15-15 fertilizer for 12 bux a 50# bag at the where the farmers get it. so like 10 bux US per 50lbs bag. how much should i be charging to spread it? Im a new should i charge by the bag (like mulch) or by the size of yard?

3. Your off to a good start not having insurance or legal, making fun of somebody else's add, then having the balls to ask how to charge for work, I will say you got nerve maybe nothing else.

4. keepoffthegrass

from Ontario

Ok, maybe i should have put my second post in its own topic, shame on me for using this forum for its purpose. Anyways.. I dont see why I should be legal when i dont even have my drivers license and i only cut grass and do maintanance down my road. If it makes you feel better I am critisizing next years competition not this years (It doesnt matter to me what they charge right now but i am just worried for next year when i am legal and hope to take on many accounts and do other services such as Fert. etc.)

5. keepoffthegrass

from Ontario

I left out some letters... I meant "I'm a new*bie*, should.....

6. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

you cant apply anything without a license... get your mom or dad to be your partner now, and get legal now, your parents can be liable for anything you damage.....you burn up the lawn, your parents get to pay for a new one..... or go to mcdonalds for a job....

7. keepoffthegrass

from Ontario

Im almost sure you dont need a special license to spread fertillizer in ontario. Pesticides yes, but fertilizer no.

8. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Not legal.
    Not old enough to drive.
    Complaining about pricing when you are asking what the price should be?

Did I miss anything?

9. tjgray

tjgray LawnSite Senior Member

Thats the way to be professional for sure...just guess at it :rolleyes:

In my opinion there is no way anyone who isn't licensed, insured and legal and at least 18 should be applying any type of chemical on any type of lawn or ornamental and that includes fertilizer.

I admire you for the fact that you are working and not out getting yourself into mischief but there is just so much you need to know and so much damage you can do by not knowing. Please do yourself a favor and get a little training by working for someone else while your young and still have time and the opportunity to do so.

10. lawnboy33

lawnboy33 LawnSite Member

at age 15 you should wait until 18 . Learn a little about actual lawn care by working at a good reputal co. There is more to fertilizing than you would think? I'm sure if you started now , every lawn would be streaked and burnt? Stick with mowing....