Lowballers and others....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by meets1, May 3, 2013.

1. clydebusa

clydebusa LawnSite Bronze Member

I find this to be true, all of my commercial require and expect to get confirmation of insurance.

2. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

I asked this question because when I've performed scheduled work for the same client...I've generally raised the price 2-4x over 10 years time. So basically, anyone else who bids this job will be a lowballer since our industry doesn't really tend to keep up with inflation.
    Just take the gist of my observation...cuz I'm not arguing with anyone here.

3. clydebusa

clydebusa LawnSite Bronze Member

^^^^ This is so true ^^^^^ prices stay the same year after year for the most part ^^^^^^

4. Landscraper1

Landscraper1 LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Southeastern Ma.

I would not say that. Just because someone bids lower than you, does not make them a "low baller". A "low baller" would bid much lower, where it wouldn't matter if you never increased your prices in 10 yrs, they would have still beat it.

5. Landscraper1

Landscraper1 LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Southeastern Ma.

Most of my contracts are for 3 yrs. Every 3 years, I almost, always raise my prices. If I am making a healthy profit on the account, then I might just raise it a couple points. If not, I will raise it to where I need to. Either way the price will be locked for 3 years.

6. Blade Runners

Blade Runners LawnSite Bronze Member

Haha, I knew my earlier post would get someone going.

7. MOturkey

MOturkey LawnSite Silver Member

The market doesn't really make any difference. You are probably a larger operator than I, with payroll to meet all year around. I'm solo and don't want to do anything in the winter! :)

8. MOturkey

MOturkey LawnSite Silver Member

Agreed. I've been screwed seven ways to Sunday by residential customers as well. However, I have only lost, to the best of my recollection, one residential customer in 10 years due to pricing, IF I serviced the property for one or more seasons.

In other words, I've never had an existing residential customer call and ask for a bid and take bids from others. Many commercial accounts insist on bidding on a yearly basis, and most will drop you over a few dollars, no matter how high the quality of your service.

9. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

98% of the LCO here don't carry Worksman Comp So the Comm. Jobs that requires WC that is what I target

I wish City make it a requirement to get a business license to have WC to do lawn work It would knock out some or it will make the rates go up

My company income is 50% mowing 50% Landscape/hardscape

10. Tom-N-Texas

Tom-N-Texas LawnSite Senior Member

sorry to hear you lost the account...sucks to make a place "pop" for a fair price and then get canned.......but you have to remember that this is business, not personal: you have to look at it from the customer's perspective: he's responsible for his company's finances and he found a way to (theoretically) save money......so don't take it personally. My guess is that this new crew won't last long so if you'd like the account back, tell the customer that you'd like him back and to keep your card.