Lowballers and others....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by meets1, May 3, 2013.

1. Landscraper1

Landscraper1 LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Southeastern Ma.

Good Advice, don't take it personal!

2. gcbailey

gcbailey LawnSite Silver Member
    from WV

That's the one that gets me right there.... I guess homeowners assume since I've got a couple trucks, couple crews, I must be living the high life...

Let's see I'm providing for my wife and 2 kids, along with helping provide for 2 other guys and their families and a couple part time college kids... Oh ya, I've got one of those mortgage things and other payments too... sheesh.

I've never had to worry about commercial accounts that require bids, because I know they require proof of insurance in the bid packet and at least I know if I lose out of the bid, hopefully I'm losing out to another legit company that knows the pains of paying uncle Sam and all the other evils of trying to be upfront and honest. It's one thing to lose a bid when you're comparing apples to apples...

But trying to explain to most homeowners all the overhead and costs of being legit and why they should stick with me vs. the types you are referring to, good luck...

3. pineymountain

pineymountain LawnSite Member

haha- thats me. :waving: well Im not now but will be in a month. I have been doing this part time for a year, just started it because I enjoy working in the yard and enjoy landscaping, taught High School full time and needed to make extra money. I had every intention to find a more "professional" part time job at the local university when I quit fulltime, but it's hard to beat the money I make doing this. I worked for 5 hours this weekend and brought home $160- yes thats gross, but it still beats 15 an hour plus taxes.

I get your frustrations, but thats just the nature of this business. It costs next to nothing to get started. That's never going to change.

4. Leeg83

Leeg83 LawnSite Member

LMAO i was thinking same thing

5. 32vld

32vld LawnSite Gold Member

Having extremely low overhead does not mean that one should leave a lot of money on the table.

Leaving money on the table is low balling.

Low over head is never a reason to low ball.

6. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

5hrs for 160 gross I would go broke at that rate
    Do you claim that 160 on your taxes and end of year or you pocketing the money

7. Tunica

Tunica LawnSite Member

Leaving what money on the table? Unless everyone knows what everyone else is bidding then how can you say "leaving" money on the table.

if I can do a job at 50 bucks cost and I charge 100 what percentage of profit am I making? If your cost was 90 don't say I am low balling you because I can charge 100.

8. 315lawnguy

315lawnguy LawnSite Member

weird, i was wondering the same thing... how alot of these LCO even get business... theres people in my neighborhood that i have driven out other guys cause they just do a horrible job... i take their business and always offer "ill do it $5 a cut less" and every single time people say "ill pay you $5 more just cause you do a superb job" but it baffles me how some people even have lawns to cut cause they look so God awful. but ya, mowing is a dim a dozen now. your going to have the sand baggers who are going to ruin the industry for the rest of us causing us to lower our prices to compete with the other guys. quality aside...

9. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

10. pineymountain

pineymountain LawnSite Member

well, I'll do better at that rate than using my BS and Masters Degree and getting a part time job at a major university. Thats just the nature of this business: any halfwit with a mower is a competitor. Unless you are offering the scale to do large commercial accounts or more value than just grass cutting, you will always be in a tenuous financial position.