Lowballers unite!!!

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by jcom, Apr 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jcom

jcom LawnSite Senior Member

We quoted a job last year and never heard back. Got a call two weeks ago for an estimate on the same property. We are looking at a 7-8 zone system with 44 psi.

We bid last year at $2600 in the middle of a busy stretch. Bit the same this spring just to get things going. Homeowner sent a deposit and a signed contract within 3 days.

This was two weeks ago. Customer called today. Local co. that has been in business here for many years undercut our bid by $600.00! Jeez. Customer was not very happy with us.

He wanted to know if we could do better. I told him no. I told him if he really wanted to go with the other firm, I would refund his deposit and void the contract.

Doing this work for other companies price is absolutely beyond my imagination but it is what it is.

Ideas and opinions are welcome. Please chime in.

2. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

par the course here in mass.
  3. I now service systems that I bid on many years ago and someone else did the job at a lower price. The quality shows why....cheap systems have a higher cost of ownership..
  4. Lawn-Sharks

Lawn-Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

I feel your pain bro. Just stick to your guns quality always pays off in the long run.
    (If we could only get customers to understand that)
  5. LawnMastersTx

LawnMastersTx LawnSite Member

I had a friend call me today about giving a bid on his friend's place. He said his friend just got quoted for a 8 zone system for just $1,200.00 and if I could do it cheaper. Well I dont do installs, especially at that price, so I just let him know to tell his friend to make sure that guy is licensed and knows what he is doing.
  6. Flow Control

Flow Control LawnSite Bronze Member

Here's one: Valpak advertisement

Annual Service Plan
    Only $75
    Sprinter Start-up & Winterization
    up to 10 zones

7. Tom Tom

Tom Tom LawnSite Bronze Member

how do you do 7 to 8 zones for 2600? How much just for material for this system and what are you using?
  8. 1wezil

1wezil LawnSite Senior Member
    from tn

on a average what do you guys charge per zone to install a new system ?
  9. Tom Tom

Tom Tom LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats just it, there is no average per zone.

There may be a range, say 800 to infinity and beyond.
  10. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

1000 min. i like 1500 though.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.