1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Lowballing, not so uncommon

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mulcahy mowing, Apr 23, 2006.

1. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing LawnSite Senior Member
    from ma

I know everyone on here hates lowballers but its's not so uncommon look around. today i went to the barber to get my hair cut, but sadly when i got there the woman who dose the mens cuts was out sick so they sent me off to another shop on the next floor. so i walk in and take a seat. while i'm waiting i pickup rollingstone magazine and start reading. There's an article about itunes and how the red hot chillipeppers are coming out with a new album and will be offering it for sale on itunes. it says they finally said they would put music on itunes because they will sell more albums. As they can sell the double disc album with 28 songs for $19.99. now no normal store can beat that price. thats example number one for my day. now back to getting my hair cut. the barber witch i normally go to takes about a half hour and costs $18.75 now this place cut my hair in about 15 minuets:dizzy: and charged $14.50(needless to say i now look like alf alfa):cry: what gives in todays market i guess people are just looking to save a buck. i think it's time we all try to see ware we can lower our prices because right now it ain't lookin to bright for those of us who charge a sane amount.;)
  2. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

So what your saying is your tired of lowballers and you need to wear a hat for a while.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  3. JJLandscapes

JJLandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

low balling can be done right look at wal-mart.. enough said
  4. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

lowballing is only real "lowballing" when the individual is working for less profit. example: a competitor of mine may be driving an 8 cylinder gas guzzling brand new dump, pulling a trailer with an $8,000 mower on it, taking the grass, and doing it all for $32, while clearing $5 . i, on the other hand, am doing the same properties for $27, but because of the way i do it, am clearing $21-$23. HE, although higher priced, is the true lowballer, because he's willing to work for less money.
  5. EPIC

EPIC LawnSite Member

very very well said bobby

NCSERVICE LawnSite Member

Lowballers desereve the anal cheap non paying customers they get.:usflag:
  7. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats not being a lowballer....thats charging what the market will bear. A lowballer, by its very definition, is someone giving a customer a deceptively low price or cost estimate. If he is doing it for more than you, it is impossible for him to be the lowballer. His costs were higher, therefore he had to charge more to make a profit. and the same goes for you. You didn't lowball, because you knew what it took to make a profit.
  8. dcplace2004

dcplace2004 LawnSite Senior Member

I snicker at those huge trailers with 10s of thousands of equipment and the $45k trucks. If people on here think they are not in debt and they are making these huge truck payments, then think again. Also, many of the big boys are so tied up in debt it is ridiculous. The people who are getting lowballed are the employees of the company who are getting paid 9 dollars an hour in the hot azz sun busting their azz, then getting laid off when the slave owners are done abusing them...you can make that as a night stocker at walmart and not be in the hot azz sun. To me, if you don't own your equipment, then you ain't accomplishing much IMO. All my equipment is paid for - what little I have. I am proud of that. ZTRs and things like that will be later, but with cash.
  9. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

To me a lowballer is somebody who comes to your customer and says..well how much does your present lawncare company charge you?Then tells them a lower price to get your work from you.To me that is a lowballer.
    And nobody said it was uncommon
  10. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't call that lowballing....I call that crappy business tactics. I do understand your point, however.