Lowballing or Not

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Scagmower48, Aug 27, 2007.

1. Scagmower48

Scagmower48 LawnSite Senior Member

Is charging $25.00 for a flat half acre lot with a 2500 sq. ft. house on it with just minimal trimming a lowball price, and if it is what would you charge.

I live in central connecticut

2. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

For that kind of lot, I charge $35.

I am going to raise my prices, as even at that price, I seem to be on the low end for pricing in my area for ligitimate company's.
  3. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

my minimum is $30 regardless of how small. I make exceptions if they sign both neighbors though.
  4. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

What is your competetion charging?

Are you able to cover all your cost and still turn a profit at your rate?
  5. Scagmower48

Scagmower48 LawnSite Senior Member

My only expense is gas. My truck, trailer, mower, and other equipment are paid for. I want to hang door hangers on peoples doors next year with estimates. I figured i could do 2 half acre lots in about an hour to hour and a half. I do want to be on the low end so i could get clients.
  6. joshco84

joshco84 LawnSite Senior Member

i would charge 35 for a lot like that. if there was very little trimming or edging to do maybe 30, but my minimum is usually 35 unless i know the person.
  7. grassgirl4

grassgirl4 LawnSite Member

My minimum is $30, also, regardless of how small. I do one yard that is only about a quarter-acre, and I charge $40; it does, however have a pain-in-the-butt fence to trim, as well as a couple other PITA trim spots. I've actually been thinking of raising my price $2-5 next year...we'll see.

As for half-acres, there's one I do that is relatively wide-open; however, it, too, has a lovely fence to trim, as well as quite a bit of walkway. I charge $50.

In both cases, if it wasn't for the fences, I could use my ztr and drastically cut down the job time (wider swaths per pass, no fence to trim). However, if you do a good job, I would still charge pretty good...after all, you are providing a service so they don't have to get their hands dirty...
  8. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

Your equipment is paid for, fine. However you should plan (budget) for replacement of your equipment, vehicles etc.
  9. Daddy Joes Lawn Service

Daddy Joes Lawn Service LawnSite Member

$25.00 and up
  10. DuraCutter

DuraCutter LawnSite Senior Member

The op forgot insurance for the business, insurance for the vehicle, advertising... etc... on and on.

Is this a legitimate business?