Lower Gas prices !

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Kelly's Landscaping, Oct 30, 2005.

1. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

If gas goes up I can come on this site and find 200 threads flipping out about the prices. I understand why of course but I do find it funny that since they began to drop not one post has mentioned this no one seems to talk about it or seems happy about the extra few hundred dollars a month its saving you.

Septembers hurricane drove prices up here as high as $3.46 a gallon that was the highest I saw now less then 2 months latter I am paying $2.39 a gallon which is not only much cheaper then post hurricane but it is also 15 cents cheaper then pre hurricane as prices were $2.55 a gallon just before Katrina. I for one could not be happier heading into fall clean ups considering I will be using 200-300 gallons a week I doubt I am the only one that feels that way but with no one ever talking about it I have to wonder. :rolleyes:
  2. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

Your right...I filled up yesterday for the lowest I have gotten gas in I don't know how long $2.12 a gallon.Going into fall clean-ups and snow plowing season it could not have come at a better time of year for us.Lets just hope these price's stay or even go lower it will only help us.
  3. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Ours is 2.63 per gallon, that is why you have not heard me hooray any at all. Has stayed in the 2.80 to a couple of 3.21 spikes mark until just a few days ago. Everytime it comes down a little (takes a month) it will shoot back up .75 to a dollar tomorrow. Heard there is another Huricane brewing now. Our gas has not came down a total of .40 cents since late July when it jumped from 1.81 to 2.80 in less than 2 weeks.:angry:
  4. jpp

jpp LawnSite Silver Member

Well, the town where I live it is 2.19. Drive 10 minutes west and it is 1.95 I went to a krogers and filled up posted price is 2.05 but with store discounts I got it for 1.85 Like said before could not have come at a better time with cleanups and snow coming.

5. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

here, its dropped a good 60 cents in less than a month or so. for me, this is EXTREMELY good to see.
  6. Guthrie&Co

Guthrie&Co LawnSite Senior Member
    from nc

I dont know what the big deal is. i am still getting reamed for diesel. it is still 2.99 a gallon here. i have heard form cities are down to 2.04 a gallon, and i am paying this?
  7. Kelly's Landscaping

Just added a second diesel truck to my fleet this week and your right scaby the price on diesel is very high but for me 2 trucks that use it hardly makes an dent. When 2 trucks 6 mowers 7 back packs 4 trimmers 2 20hp vacs 3 walk behind blowers including a self propelled model do not. Gas is were it hurts me the most and fall clean ups I can use 8-10 gallons a day just in 2 cycle
  8. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

diesel is just starting to break, its been $2.99/gal for about since about two weeks after Katrina, i filled up for $2.85 and was quite happy. Gas started to drop a week or two ago, regular is down to $2.37 in a couple spots.
  9. Guthrie&Co

Guthrie&Co LawnSite Senior Member
    from nc

diesel fuel is a by product anyway. so why is it so much higher than gasoline. i h ave heard that diesel is what is left after making gas.
  10. Kelly's Landscaping

Not quite what I saw on the history channel was this crude oil is heated in a refinery the oil then rises up a tower its sorted by some kind of carbon count the more molecules it has the lighter the gas so the higher it rises up the tower. Any ways the heavy stuff comes off first so you have diesel then gasoline then above that you got butane and propane and methane there is a few more products like kerosene but you get the idea. The thing of note was the most common product was gasoline around 30 gallons for every barrel diesel was nowhere near as plentiful I think it was like 7 gallons per barrel