Lowering Magnesium

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by wallzwallz, Jul 24, 2008.

1. wallzwallz

wallzwallz LawnSite Senior Member

I did a search, but not a lot to go on, I need to lower my magnesium. The levels are around 200 PPM. What causes high levels? I know dolomite lime could, but this lawn hadn't been limed in 10 yrs. I used calcitic lime at 50lbs/K for the PH in the spring, as calcium levels are low. I read someone say bone char in another thread? What has everyone used to correct this problem, thanks Mike

2. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

I am looking forward to the answers as I have not found one yet.

the standard answer for a 6:1 or 7:1 Ca to Mg is raise the Ca. The only reason really to look at lowering Mg is because of the ratio. What is the Ca?

Just because it says it on a test "H" does not mean it is. look at the whole site don't be herded into someone else diagnosis

Mg is very difficult to remove or make go lower, we have been looking for an Mg chewer/digester none yet, they are out there

3. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

Who says 200PPM is a high level of Mg? When you consider that 200ppm is equiveant to about 400lbs of total Mg per 6in of total soil depth on an entire acre, 400lbs out of a possible 2,000,000 lbs, it doesnt look like much. Most likey your soil test report is pointing out a high magnesium content in relationship to the other nutrients in your soil. Most likely, you have low calcium levels as well as low potassium levels in your soil. This would make the Mg levels look artificialy high. What does your soil test report say base saturations of Ca, K and Mg are? Knowing hese numbers will best tell you how to combat your high mg levels.

Magnesium base saturation levels should be around 10%-15%. Calcium around 68%-70%, and K around 2.5%-5%. raiseing the base saturation of Ca and K will lower the base saturation numbers of the Mg. If you have high Ca, high Mg and high K, you most likely have a very high ph soil that is deficient in other necessary nutrients.

4. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

I am sorry, but you know... as odd as your picture is mudd, that cat looks VERY serious.

5. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

I had said that woodchar will help to regulate the Ca/ mg ratio at 8:1 more or less. but 200 is not that high a mg rate per acre, for palms we like to keep at least 400-500 ppm. the ratio is whats important. we are in a constant battle with low Ca, so we add bone char to our soil and compost, to push the saturation and raise the total Ca to around 3500ppm. Most of the bone char is calcium phosphate, calcium carbonate. we lack a lot of K here so its an easy way to get some extra.

6. treegal1

yeah the cat is cool..........

7. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

Mudd, good to hear from you, great perspective, thanks

HOT down there lately, JEEZ, SMOK'N I'll bet!

8. treegal1

film diffusion rather then chemical exchange reaction???

9. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

How ..... and provide references. :)

10. treegal1

It wont let me re post, its the Terra preta post. and I will get other papaer later and post soil tests..............