1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Lowering PH,

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by LawnsharkMB, Apr 18, 2012.

1. LawnsharkMB

LawnsharkMB LawnSite Senior Member

What is the fastest and safest way to lower the ph of a lawn? I have 7 lawns that the ph is 7.0 to 7.4. All are centipede. I have never applied sulfur to a lawn before. I have read that aluminum sulfate is the quickest but it will burn the lawn. I know SCU and ammonium sulfate will lower the ph but doesn't this take a while? Thanks for any advice in advance.
  2. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

I'm in the region also. Sulfur with 10%dolemite (clay) does a great job on our sandy soil. I buy the flakes and spread it at 10lb/K. It needs warm soil to activate it. It brakes down rather quickly. Your centipede will do great if you use ammonium sulfate (21-0-0)@ 1/2lb/K which is a sulfur based Nitrogen. I bet you are a granular guy! Luckily, it can be had in the granular form. I use 14-0-46 liquid and boost it with the ammonium + iron and micros.
    Lesco has the sulfur but it is way too high. I get mine from the co-op at about half of their price. I put it down in November and then again in April and just waited on the heat.
  3. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

10 pound per thousand sq ft of 0-0-0-90 Sulfur with 10% Bentonite not dolomite will lower pH one point in 30 days. pH is the inverse logarithm of the hydrogen Ion in a solution. Therefore as a Inverse, the More hydrogen atoms the lower the pH number. Small p in math stands to an inverse and the capital H stands for Hydrogen.

4. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

This is the equation for pH, it is NOT an inverse log, it is a negative log.

pH = -log [H+]

The inverse log (or better known as the exponent) of the negative of the pH is the hydrogen ion concentration.

[H+] = 10^(-pH)

If I have a [H+] = 0.0002, what is the pH?

pH = -log(0.0002) = 3.70​

If I have a pH = 3.70 what is the [H+]?

[H+] = 10^(-3.70) = 0.0002​
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2012
  5. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

My Bad, I am getting old and have CRS. The negative log is a Inverse of the positive log. In the case of pH, the measurement of Hydrogen ions in a solution is a reverse of numbers. The higher the pH, the lower amount of Hydrogen ions. The lower the pH the higher the Hydrogen ion count.

6. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

logarithmic functions are inversely related to the exponential function is the easiest way to remember it, at least for me.

logbx is the inverse of b^x where b = base

I think the most important relation to remember here for most people is for every unit change in pH, there is a 10 fold change in [H+]

Using the example above, increasing pH to 4.7 reduces [H+] by a factor of 10.

[H+] = 10^(-4.70) = 0.00002
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2012