1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Lowering the decks in the fall?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by chevyman1, Aug 18, 2004.

1. chevyman1

chevyman1 LawnSite Senior Member

I have noticed some LCO's here in the upstate NY area that are mowing lower lately now that we are in the middle of August. Is this standard or something you think these guys are doing because of how much rain we are getting up here this summer (wettest summer on record). I know you can lower the decks for the last cut up to 1/2", but do it now? is that healthy?
  2. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

Cutting height should be based on many factors including grass type, temps, irrigation freq., fertilizer rate, and client preference,more info would be helpful if you are looking for sound advice. You will get as many opinions as gardners on this one. I have lowered my tallest yards 1/4 inch as soon as night temps dropped last week.
  3. chevyman1

Upstate NY gras is what we are dealing with, lots of fescue and cold season grasses. Client preference aside, I'm talking commericial places mostly that I see them doing
  4. Tom-N-Texas

Tom-N-Texas LawnSite Senior Member

Boy not me. I leave the height alone until october. My experience is that as soon as you start dropping the blade, the more people are opt to say...."Oh the yard just isn't growing -- why don't you come back in 2 weeks instead of 1." Before you know it you're losing money left and right.
  5. chevyman1

that's what I think too, plus I don't think it's healthy for the yard
  6. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

i sometimes cut shorter if its starting grow noticeably faster. that way it doesn't get out of control, when i return next week. we deal with almost exclusively cool season grasses also.
  7. Nature Guy

Nature Guy LawnSite Member

I have noticed in the past years that heat stress is still a factor at this time of year. I leave it long. This year however, with the low temperatures I don't know if it would be a factor or not.
  8. LCME

LCME LawnSite Senior Member

I have a customer that wanted me to cut his lawn to 1.5 to 2". I said, OK. After a couple of weeks his grass started to thin. I then stepped in and told him I should cut no less than 2.5". Again new at this. I explained the taller the grass the deeper the root. Anyway he agreed. After a couple of weeks cutting at 2.5 the grass began to fill in a bit. He's a happy customer.
  9. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

So what height are we talking about and are the yards fertilized, irrigated etc.