Lowering tire pressure

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by chrisbolte, Sep 22, 2000.

1. chrisbolte

chrisbolte LawnSite Member

I have been lowering my tire pressure in my zero turn mowers to help keep grass from tearing. Mainly on yards that sprinkle regularly or after rainfall. Do you do this or do you have any opinions about this???

2. BUSHMASTER

BUSHMASTER LawnSite Senior Member

i think i would try slowing down in the turn first before i drop the air . unless you are on a hill?

3. trimmasters

trimmasters LawnSite Senior Member

well that depends, are you running Firestone tires? :)

4. excel25

excel25 LawnSite Senior Member

If you lower your pressure you also are changing the highth of your tire. If you are turnig like you should it wont tear the grass up.

5. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

The tire pressure in my Grasshoppers is already low. 6lbs in one machine and 9lbs in the other.

6. CommercialCuts

CommercialCuts LawnSite Member
    from Mo

Hey Chris, I tried that and finally figured out why my tires kept going flat, if you have any hills with low tires your air pressure will be pushed out. Keep those tires moving when you turn and wont tear up grass. I run 15lbs all around no problems now.

7. chrisbolte

chrisbolte LawnSite Member

My tires are supposed to be 24 psi what is the psi on your tires?

8. CommercialCuts

CommercialCuts LawnSite Member
    from Mo

Chris I run 15lbs because of the tire pressure problem that i had and thats the # that gives me the smoothest ride. Proper tire inflation on my exmark is 13lbs all around, but at 13lbs i loose air pressure on the hills.

9. BUSHMASTER

BUSHMASTER LawnSite Senior Member

loss of presure ....if the bead isi't popping add some slime\
    it may helpwhat knda mower do you have chris?

10. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

CommercialCuts,

If you are loosing pressure on hills, I doubt it is because the bead is leaking. Exmark wouldn't recommend a pressure if it isn't good for ALL terrains. You can go lower than 13 but that will eventually lead to bead failure. When a bead breaks its seal on a hill you loose ALL pressure in the tire , not just some. There is prob a small leak somewhere (thorns, valve stem, cuts on inside sidewall from old fences or rebar property markers :-( ) I have a red sealant in my tires (all mowers) with great results. Also make sure you have a Premium Low pressure gauge. Plan to spend around $50.00 or so for a good one and check when cold not after running it all day.

HOpe these ideas help