Lowes #1 in trailers??? No Way

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by mcwlandscaping, Apr 24, 2006.

1. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Got this LOWES flyer today, and in it they have a page with trailers on it. Enclosed and Open, the enclosed ones were pace i think, but the thing that stood out to me was where it said something like "we're Americas #1 trailer retailer"

How can anyone believe that?? The real trailer dealer i go to has so many trailers you can't even count em all.....lowes, theres maybe 10 tops. How can LOWES justify puttin this in their flyers?

2. Badgerz

Badgerz LawnSite Member

Are there many companies out there that don't say they're the best at what they do?

3. BladeRunner1967

BladeRunner1967 LawnSite Member

Lowe's does have over 1200 stores. 1200*10=12,000:hammerhead: Stores near me sell Carry On. Lowes and Depot both use words like "National Retailer" and "Largest National Dealer". Not many retailers out there that are national. Depot has 2100 stores and growing.

4. rickt

rickt LawnSite Member

Multiply the number of stores in the USA and guesstimate the number of trailers they sell per day. I have seen them and there not bad IMO.

The term "were americas #1 trailer retailer" does not reference to its stock availability but the amount they sell.

Your trailer dealer may have 5,000+ in stock, however it doesnt mean they sell that many. They maybe sell 20+ a month tops, compare that to what Lowes can sell.

5. oldrustycars

oldrustycars LawnSite Senior Member

i always like to buy from my local guy whenever possible, even if its a few bucks more. if you have trouble with a trailer you bought at lowes do they have a shop that will take care of it for you? not likely.

6. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

i hear what you guys are saying, honestly, my trailer is one from home depot, and its been great (just a little small, lol) but i just dont like that they can reference themselves like that. just MO though. just wanted to hear your thoughts,

7. Howie's Lawn Care

Howie's Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Here is a comparison between Lowes and where I purchased my trailer.

LOWES
    5' X 10'
    standard metal railing
    tiny tires, thin and short
    obviously not built tuff
    w/ramp
    $1048.00

KRW CYLCES
    6' X 12'
    2 FT wood sidewalls
    16" tires, maybe 15", pretty good size
    w/ ramp
    $1090.00

8. Choctaw Scalper

Choctaw Scalper LawnSite Member

you are crazy if you buy a trailer from Lowes or the Depot. Around here they are 2 to 3 times more expensive then real trailer stores.

9. rfed32

rfed32 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Hatboro

around my neck of the woods....a lot of homeowners buy trailer from lowes or HD they are priced good compared to some of the trailer dealers...i was looking in to getting a 5x8 from there b4 i gound my 6x10 used for a little more then what they wanted....butmy uncle has owned both the 5x8 and the 6x12 from there....they both were decent trailer still has the 6x12 the only problem with it was the welds on the mesh gate broke but other than that no real problems....but i know they sell a lot of trailers and HD sells more when only one or two HD have trailers and its a 4.5x8....but most homeowners like to buy them so they can pick up wood, or mulch or little things here and there when all they have is an suv, car with hitch or dont want to get their truck dirty....so as far as selling a lot....around here they sure as he!! do

10. rickt

rickt LawnSite Member

Nope.

A trailer dealer in the DFW area wants to charge you for everything added on to it, when i was purchasing my trailers in DFW i was getting quotes and 99% of dealers wanted to charge for little things, heck one wanted to charge $25 for each D-ring installed, and was charging for PINS that held the gate up (as most didnt come with it) i said fudge that and had some custom built by a friend and it came out way cheaper. However a regular everyday guy who wants a trailer for his own personal use is not going to go haggle with a trailer company he will just go to his local HD or Lowes and buy one.