Lowes/ Home Depot Aerators

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by coachgrd, Sep 14, 2004.

1. coachgrd

coachgrd LawnSite Member

I'd like to get an core aerator. In looking at the ones Lowes/HD offer, I just can't imagine they would last a day on the job with you pros. How are they for me they homeowner looking to use them 2 times/year, roughly 2 acres?

Also, are the spike aerators useless? Seems as if they would compress the soil more than aerate it.

Thanks in advance for your professional opinions.

coach

2. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Coach,
    If you've got 2 acres to do I don't think a home despot model is going to last very long.
    Yes, Spike aerators are useless.

Just a side note for you.........
    Sears has a core aerator that is a better built model than the lowes/ home depot,etc. models,it is heavier steel and more weight capacity.(they have 2 different models of core aerators,I'm not talking the cheaper one)
    It may work O.K. for occasional use.................

3. Flounder

Flounder LawnSite Member

I bought the Northern Tool branded Aerator yesterday. I tried to put it together last night. The nuts were rusted right out of the box. I put it back in the box and I'll be returning it today. I'll check out the Sears model.

Thanks

4. Lombardi

Lombardi LawnSite Senior Member

I bought a Brinley from HD 3 years ago and have not had a problem since.

5. jsmonroeCT

jsmonroeCT LawnSite Member
    from CT

Same here. Using it now to aerate and overseed (using a rotary spreader). I have a 1.2 acres and it works like a champ - just weigh it down. Good luck.

6. Jeffd1979

Jeffd1979 LawnSite Member

I bought the home depot areator last year.. have used it 3 times so far and it works great.. I put 180 lbs worth of my dumbells on it and it does a descent job.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Flounder

Flounder LawnSite Member

The Northern Tool model looked identical to the pictures above except it had steel wheels/rims. Shipping weight was 100 pounds which was same as the bigger AgriFab at HD so I thought the steel would be about the same thickness/quality, descriptions in the catalog are the same for the AgriFab and Northern Tool but the Northern Tool is only $129.99. Maybe I should have just replaced all the screws with galvanized and kept it for the price savings.

8. Flounder

Flounder LawnSite Member

I went to Sears on Saturday and they had thier "Commercial grade quality" Craftsman 42 in. Plug Type Aerator on sale, 11 bucks off (regularly $229) and when I asked about the Craftman club and the salesperson gave me an additional 10% off so I bought it. I didn't even have my Craft. club card with me but the sales person did not care. Supposed to be delivered this week. I'll be glad to post a review if anyone is interested. I plan on aerating and overseeding next weekend. Good thing about Sears if I don't like the it I can take it back.

9. flyboy03

flyboy03 LawnSite Member

how about some photo's of the sears unit? a user report and impressions would be interesting to see. thanks

10. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

A friend of mine has one that's from sears and works great for him. Just make sure you get the better of the two and add plenty of weight. He uses 4 cement blocks filled with cement. :waving: