Lowes?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Edmonds Lawn Service, Jun 19, 2009.

1. Edmonds Lawn Service

Edmonds Lawn Service LawnSite Member

I am loosing to local Lowes stores dues to Lowes corp. going with a nation wide company to cut their grass at all of their stores. The store manager said that that company might subcontract it out to smaller companys like myself.

Just wanting to know if anyone here might know who the nation wide company might be?

Thanks

2. Lawnut101

Lawnut101 LawnSite Silver Member

Brickman would be a good guess.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh LawnSite Silver Member

This won't help much but there was a post in a thread about this a couple of weeks ago...maybe do a search.

Sorry about the news....

maybe you'll become the sub :)

It wasn't Brickman, I believe it was a Property Management company, which most likely subs there accounts out.

4. Edmonds Lawn Service

Thanks i will search the threads. This really sucks. I am hoping i can get the subcontract.

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Oh man, not THAT one! :laugh:

6. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

7. tamadrummer

tamadrummer LawnSite Bronze Member

Our local Lowes and HD both go through LCO's like water.

The HD has a new one each month and the Lowes has about 4 a year.

It has to have something to do with the way they pay or actually probably don't pay because these should be lucritive properties but no one ever makes it on them.

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

That happens a lot with these huge nationwide corporations, it's not just Lowe's, and it's sad.

I think a lot of it has to do with the sheer amount of work involved, the liability and the usual cluelessness,
    unless it's a big company used to dealing with them types of lots, here we got solos thinking they can hack this
    out but one of these stores sits on 20-50-100 acres worth of property and it goes far further than just cutting
    the fifteen little islands worth of grass.

We're talking a half a million square feet or more, the half of them share the space with other shops.
    Just the store itself, big warehouse like that, 100,000 square feet easy, then add up all the surrounding areas?

Most guys usually clean the parking lot, and I'm sure there's a lot more to it still but first just to CLEAN the lot...
    Oh, and then comes late June and temperatures start to soaring over the blacktop.

Around here we have a company called Hy-Tech property maintenance and they usually get these contracts,
    they come out in the middle of the night with lighted street sweepers and equipment I don't even know the name of,
    it's a sight to behold thou looking at their operation it also looks like they're used to working long and hard for the money...

So when a big company gets a contract like this, I don't lose much sleep over it, more power to them,
    really I am glad they got it so this is one phone call I won't be getting.

Just my .02

Last edited: Jun 19, 2009
  9. kaferhaus

kaferhaus LawnSite Bronze Member

Same here. A few years ago I priced some of the parking lot equipment..... even with the size of my operation and the capital that we have I decided quickly that I didnt' want to risk tying up that much money in a business that has more risk than this one already does.

10. Edmonds Lawn Service

Wow, i have never had that much trouble with Lowes. I have been doing them for 2 years. The two stores really would like to keep me but they have to do it because of corp.