lowest prices...garenteed

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Oct 3, 2005.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

welp, i've had some time to regroup, think, analize, and do some figuring....the bottom line is, i can't exsist on someone elses time clock, i'm too rebelious. the hot dog stand is geared for a grand opening in march of 2006. the property has been leveled, with the exception of the kids swing set, in preparation for my produce grow + deliver service, set to be in full swing by the time the zuccinni are picked in 2006. and finally, my new and improved strategy for mowing. the add will go in mid february of 2006, i will target all residents within a 30 mile radius of my home, and it will read, " HOLY COW!!!! CHECK OUT OUR LOW LOW PRICES. WE BEAT THE COMPETITION BY 15%!!!!!" . it really isn't much, if they are mowing @ $27, i'll mow @ $23, no biggie, i'll have em lined up 5, 10, 15 in a row. yup, i'll lowball the living crap out of them all. i can play this game too. wanna give free leaf cleanups? wanna bag grass for free? wanna weed the beds 4 free, cus you're a sucker? wanna pay your help cash under the table? noooo problemo. i will have the lowest price of any legitimate lawn service here. this will be the offer: i'll beat any competitors mowing price, BUT, you sign up for full service, which is- scu/fcu/30 mows + ferts. you must give a one month deposit, and you must pay each and every bill on time, no exceptions. if, you are late on any bill, for any reason, your service is temporarilly cancelled that very day, with no notice, and will resume ONLY after you have paid your bill up to date, a $30 late fee, and the cost of each missed grasscut (if any occur) as the result of a delinquet payment. if you fail to bring your account up to date, within 30 days of your missed payment, your deposit will be kept, your service will be cancelled permenantly, and you will pay for the entire season, because when you signed on, you understood you reserved a seasonal spot on my schedule, but in order to keep that spot, you have to pay on time every month. i think it will work. any thoughts?

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Thoughts? You're not JCP&L bobby...and no one is that irreplaceable, period. Good luck though

3. bobbygedd

from NJ

it's a trade off. if they want lower prices, they come with strings attached

4. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

Have a good supplier for the hot dogs lined up you might be spending more time selling them than mowing.

Nosmo

5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Those aren't strings my friend...they're chains.

6. cborden

cborden LawnSite Member
    from 46140

I think it's a pretty good idea. Business is business, the customer agreed to the stipulations to get the lower price, and they should be held to it. The customer knew they were reserving service for the whole season, and in my opinion, should be held financially responsible for it. I can't stand it when people try to back out of an agreement. payup

7. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

What gives Bobby. Rodfather can pay a foreman $22.50 per hour and charge customers I think minimum $45 a yard and he lives a few miles from you. Why are you lowballing? Can't you get Rod's rates? Is your mowing empire on the wrong side of the NJ tracks?

Maybe Rod can teach you how to run a real lawn business? :D

8. bobbygedd

from NJ

thank you very much, but rod does not mow anything like what i mow, and i don't mow anything like he mows. i can make it to his house in less than 35 minutes, but the size of the lawns are like night and day. my properties are average 2, 3, 4-6k. the largest i've ever mowed, was 11,200 sq ft, the smallest he's ever mowed, was probably twice that size. seriously though, i know the wording "low prices" will attract rif raf, but it will also attract alot of attention in general. the leverage on working for "iffy" people, will be the tough contract. has anyone ever tried advertizing like this/ using the word "cheap", or "bargain" or "low prices"? the fact is fact, the day of the "do an impeccible job, and charge top $$$ " are gone, i believe this wholeheartedly. it's time to adapt, or find another line of work. adapting doesn't mean i need to save all my nickles, and don't spend any money, and eat rice and beans, just incase.to me, adapting means, finding another way, to arrive at the same destination. i believe the future is simply a lower level product (but one that's acceptible) at a cheaper price. i see companies here that were always "top of the line" , they gave an excellent product, at a top price. well guess what....they are hurting. so my question, has anyone advertized using key words like "cheap", "low prices"??? and what was the outcome?

9. RonB

RonB LawnSite Senior Member

why wouldn't it work - sounds alot like justmowing.

10. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't think Bobby has the type of volume of small yards like Dallas area. Justmowit needed lots of volume mowing to make it work since he is making very little per yard. you also need several crews and cheap Mexican labor. All the pieces have to be their for a justmowit situation to work.