Lowest sprinkler on the zone is causing water to pool around it.

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by BKI, Sep 1, 2007.

1. BKI

BKI LawnSite Member

I'm a homeower that installed my own system. The lowest sprinkler on this zone is causing me problems. After the zone shuts down all the water from that zone flows to the lowest sprinkler and that sprinkler is not sealling tight and the water leaks out the head thus causing a huge mess. Just wondering if there is something that I can do different to prevent this situation. Also the sprinkler is an Orbitz (I now know that those are not recommened). Is that the problem?

P.S. thanks very much for your help

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Buy a head with a built-in check valve. You might need to get more than one, to deal with drainage from heads further uphill.

3. you have what is called lowend/lowhead drainage. You need a head with a check valve or a check valve installed on the line. You will not find a check valve or head with a check valve at a box store, you will find one at a irrigation supply house.

4. Hank Reardon

Hank Reardon LawnSite Senior Member

If he puts a head with a low drain check, he could have more problems if he doesn't have the system blown out in fall. Puddling in one thing, cracked laterals is another.

5. What to do Hank? I guess he better make sure he blows it out. Would a check valve further up the lateral make any difference or is blowout still the only option? Can't have that low head drainage.

6. He lives in Prarie Home Companion land so BKI be sure and get blowouts and get rid of that ORBITZ.

7. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Classic "low head drainage" symptoms. You can install after-market inline check valves at each sprinkler but it probably would have been less expensive to have originally installed sprinkler heads with built-in CVs in them.

8. make it rain

make it rain LawnSite Member
    from So Fla

how much water are you talking about? does it just seem to leak out whatever is left in the pipe? maybe your valve is weeping and letting water past - might have a second issue here

a head with a check valve will keep pipe drainage from leaking out but unless you've got a pretty long run to your lowest head it may not be enough to cause any significant puddling

9. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

Thats what I was thinking as well, maybe the solenoid isn't closing the valve or you have some dirt or other junk in the valve preventing the diaprham from sealing.

easy way to check this. make sure all faucets are off in the house. run the affected zone for a minute or two and then have someone else shut the zone off while you are watching the water meter. even the slightest drip will cause the meter to move....if the meter still moves, then you have a leaky valve. If not, then you need the CV

10. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

I would just replace the drippy head with a new head with a built in check valve seal.

I am not as familiar with other brands. But with Rainbird that would be a 1800 SAM (if you're talking about spray heads)

http://www.rainbird.com/landscape/products/sprays/1800sam.htm

Or a 5000 SAM or 3500 SAM if you're talking about rotors.

The only problem with using the SAMs is you may find that once you eliminate seepage out of the lowest head, now water finds it's way to the NEXT lowest head and does the same thing. You could end up replacing a few heads on that zone. Basically, all heads that area lower in elevation than the pipe is at it's highest point need to be SAMs.

That will solve your problem, unless it's a leaky valve issue.