lowsy customer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jarroo's lawncare, Oct 3, 2006.

1. jarroo's lawncare

jarroo's lawncare LawnSite Member

i have a customer that i have been cutting and landscaping for now for two years. just about two weeks ago i get a call from this guy saying the grass does not need cutting. the day before he said when i came to mow he would settle up last months bill with me. for the past few weeks he avoided me i stop maintaining his lawn because he would not make any effort to pay me or contact me of his situation. he leads on like he has lots of money and tries to get you to believe that with the fancy cars and the expensive clothes. word on the street is he is in over his head with his expensive lifestyle and if he owes you money and don't have you probably won't get it. i was able to catch him at work the other day and he tried to pass off a check for one mow like he didn't owe me for the whole month and i told him that he still owed me for the rest of the month. he said come back monday night and we will settle up. just his luck his place of work isn't open on monday nights. in the meantime he found an illegal that is mowing 3 lawns for what i was mowing for the price of what i was mowing his for. so should i take legal action or should i just bring my family and friends down to his little restaurant and settle up the mowing with that much in dinners.

2. dmanb2b

dmanb2b LawnSite Member

have a nice meal and call it even...make sure you order dessert too:waving: :drinkup:

3. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

how much does he owe stick on him if its worth it but dont blow more time and energy then its worth

4. jarroo's lawncare

jarroo's lawncare LawnSite Member

he owes 160.00

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

No offense sir, but you have just learned the 'money flaunter' lesson.

From here on out, anytime someone flaunts money in your face, you can rest fairly assured that the outcome will be along the same lines of what is happening to you right now.

The thing is, when someone does this, we tend to get greedy... And greed clouds your judgement, meaning you can't think straight anymore. I hope this makes sense, it should also explain why most of us consider this a red flag, and you can rest a little easier knowing that more than a few Lco's here have fallen for this trick at least once as well.

In the future, someone flaunts the money, I look at it this way:
    1) Thank them for their time, turn around and pick up speed, don't be afraid to build to a gallop.
    2) Have them put their money where their mouth is... What you do is start quoting double whatever figure is in your head, just double that and quote it, oh and you need half of that upfront (get it? now no matter what happens, you got paid). This usually ends the nonsense real fast, but the result is the same as number 1.

p.s.: I'd show up at his restaurant during a busy time and get ready to raise a little scene, that's what I would do.

6. mojob

mojob LawnSite Senior Member

I'm not sure if I'd eat and then not pay. He will probably call the police and then you'd be in trouble.

7. TNT LawnCare Inc.

TNT LawnCare Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

For one Jarroo never cut a customers lawn for a month without payment,just my opinion , but here if mine get behind two payments they get an invoice and a phone call, no payment no more lawn service. 4 cuts is just way to long. been there done that learned the lesson. Don't waste your time with this joker move on.

8. MarkintheGarden

MarkintheGarden LawnSite Bronze Member

I do not mind waiting for payments from my customers who I have had for a while, if I do not know them I get nervous.

I love older people cause they pay like clockwork, some send a check for every service, some pay every month, but most of them come out of the house and hand me a check.

Money flaunters are always the worst.

9. dave k

dave k LawnSite Bronze Member

Take him to small claims court, he may or maynot show up, probably won't, but at least you will have a judgement against him, do you have past invoices, if so take them with you.
    Dave

10. jdramr4

jdramr4 LawnSite Member

I have gone through the same thing this year so next year all new customers must pay by credit card.