LP Fueled Mowers???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Gatewayuser, Jul 18, 2006.

1. Gatewayuser

Gatewayuser LawnSite Bronze Member

Does anyone have any experience with the new LP fueled mowers? The only brand I can find that sells LP mowers is Dixie Chopper for $12,000.
    I remember seeing a bunch of LP mowers at the EXPO last year W/b and ztr's. Thanks!
  2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Ferris has units and the school distrist in our area is running Scag units off of tank gas. Don't have any info.
  3. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

My only question would be why? Are they better on fuel? Is propane cheaper? Seems like a pain to me to have to get tanks filled. For every place you can get a tank filled there are probably 100 gas stations you could get gas or diesel at.
  4. Gatewayuser

Its the same distances for me to gas and LP.
    LP is around $1.00 or more cheaper.
    50% less emissions hardly any headache causing CO.
    Longer engine life because LP does not burn oil off of the engine cylinders.
    Less oil changes.
    No engine flooding, no carbs going bad.
    You don't have to worry about gas going bad or evaporating.
    And its only around $1,000-1,600 more dollars! I am going to buy one if I can find one, I would rather not have a Dixie Chopper, no offense anyone.
  5. ClayMcC

ClayMcC LawnSite Member

I think it's all about air pollution and global warming. Although I haven't done the research and don't have the specifications, small gasoline engines are one of the worst air polluting problems ever in history. I think I've read or seen something which claimed that lawn mowers and two-cycle engies put out more green house gases then automobiles. There's no government regulation on lawn equipment.

My guess is the lawn care equipment manufacturers are starting to feel the heat from the government, public, and environmental groups, to start making less noxious machines.
  6. Gatewayuser

A 4hp push mower is more pollutant then 25 new cars.
  7. ClayMcC

ClayMcC LawnSite Member

I read out loud to my wife what you wrote, and she went, "Good God!"

So, give me $40 to cut your grass, and I'll give the sky $1,000 worth of CO2!

Good God!
  8. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

I can certainly see the benefits of having LP gas instead of unleaded fuels. LP by nature is a very clean gas once cleaned and compressed into liquid form. Since it is so clean the emissions are reduced greatly and your engines combustion chamber will not form nearly as much performance robbing carbon. The oil stays cleaner much longer and overall it is a better fuel. That said, until the price comes down to a reasonble level (I would pay 500 for the option) I wont be buying into the technology.
  9. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

How is the working power compared to gas or diesel engines?
  10. mowpart rep

mowpart rep Sponsor

Typically you will see LP units at large municipalities due to EPA emission constraints. You can convert just about any machine to LP. Years ago I converted 10 for the Dallas Independent School District. They eventually switched back to gasoline. I'm guessing due to fuel availability at various work sites. I think it is a viable option just be prepared to change your fueling habits. Check with a reputable LP provider they will give you a current quote on the cost for conversion parts. The job typically takes around 4 hours for a good mechanic to complete.