1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

LPG powered mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Kid With A Mower, Jul 23, 2007.

1. Kid With A Mower

Kid With A Mower LawnSite Member

What do you guys think of lawn mowers powered by LPG? I was thinking of using it as part of a marketing campaign (go green). Anybody out there who currently owns one?
  2. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Its still a hydrocarbon, and whats worse is its a PITA to fuel up...when was the last time you went to a gas station and they had LP Gas at the pump? If using the 20 pound bottles and the exchange...you are going to spend as much or more for LP than gasoline. Sure its a little better for the environment...but its still derived from oil processing. I do hear it yields more power than gasoline though.
  3. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

I have used propane powered fork lifts, the idea of a propane powered mower makes sense. The plugs would never foul up. Around here finding a place to get fuel is not a problem.

BTW I detest those bottle exchanges.
  4. Kid With A Mower

I know it's still a petroleum product, but it is claimed to burn 80-90% cleaner than regular gasoline. I don't mean using the 20lb tanks at a gas station, I mean using the 50lb tanks used for fork trucks.
  5. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

As long as I can still get gasoline I am not gonna convert to LPG, more money for the start up and more of a hassle to get filled up.
  6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

At our local dealer one guy is working full time installing LP on mowers....it is very very big. The state and local gov people have been mandated to use it. We expect to see a big push to make us use them within a few years.
  7. Kid With A Mower

De doesn't have any laws that mandate it's use (therefore no one does). I just figured that I could use it to my advantage. By marketing my company and it's services being cleaner, and better for the environment.
  8. ffemt1271

ffemt1271 LawnSite Bronze Member

the government has incentives for buying alternative fueled vehicles. do they have the same for mowers and such? maybe a rebate or something
  9. fargoboy

fargoboy LawnSite Member

LPG on outdoor power equipement has always been a weight and space problem. Where on your Z are you going to put your tank? There are also DOT regulations that you have to comply with as you travel down the highway with your spare tanks. I'm sure that in the future that this will be the way the industry will go. You will probably download product from your truck system to your mower system. Mower system will probably be the two lb tanks that you find on the camp stoves but will give you a couple of hours use. I think the technical problems are in the field of static electricity when you transfer between system
  10. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

This is further along than you think....they have two large tanks that are each about 3 foot tall but they are mounted on the side. Local dealer has outfitted maybe close to 100 this year....mostly Ferris but he has done a 21" Honda for a guy.