LS170 problem (wont start)

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by JWilson07, Jul 22, 2007.

1. JWilson07

JWilson07 LawnSite Member

well i'm not familiar with working on skid steers and I wasn't paying attention yesterday and ran all the fuel out of my LS170...I put more diesel fuel in it this morning and tried to start it and it won't start...do I need to prime it or something?...I don't know how to prime the engine if that's what it needs...I guess i've just got air bubbles in the lines from running the fuel out...but how can I fix this?

Thanks

2. Fieldman12

Fieldman12 LawnSite Bronze Member

You will have to bleed the entire system. Hopefully you have a manual to show you the procedure. First the fuel filter will have to be full. There should be a bleed scree on it. Some have a bleed screw at the pump and then bleed each injector. All brands are a little different but very similar to the next. A good indication when your cranking and starting to get fuel is a little smoke out the exhaust pipe.

3. Fieldman12

Fieldman12 LawnSite Bronze Member

Some times you will not have to bleed everything but based on what you said of running it out of fuel I would say the complete system is dry.

4. wanabe

wanabe LawnSite Senior Member
    from So. IL

Fill the filter back up, crack all the injector lines(nut on tube at injector) and crank it over for a while to get the air out. If you shut it down right away, you may be able to just give it a little starting fluid when you crank it over. Just do not over do the starting fluid.

5. cat2

cat2 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Mi

You shouldn't have to use starting fluid. It should start once all the air is out

6. JWilson07

I took the line off running from my fuel filter to the injector pump and filled it up with fuel and stuck it back on...and it'd start up, run for a few seconds...then cut back off...it just burns the fuel up in the line then doesn't get anymore fuel...when I turn the key one click, should I hear my fuel pump pumping fuel out of the tank?...I thought I used to always hear it pumping up before I started it, now I don't hear anything

7. cat2

cat2 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Mi

Kinda sounds like something in the pump. I hope there isn't anything wrong with it.:cry:

8. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

You need to charge the system with fuel. I would guess if your machine is only a few years old it would have the same engine that the CASE machines have. you need to open that bleeder valve and use the hand pump or crank the engine until the air is purged from the system. After you have properly bled the system you can better troubleshoot the remaining problems if there are any.

9. JWilson07

It's an '03, I'm not sure if it has the same engine the case machines have...all I know is that it is a 52HP turbo diesel...and I dont see any hand pump on there to prime it...and i've tried cranking the engine, but it still wont start

10. wanabe

wanabe LawnSite Senior Member
    from So. IL

Did you open the injector lines at the injectors, and crank the motor over? Is the filter full? There should be a pump somewhere, but I am not sure on a NH. Post a couple of fuel line pics and maybe someone can point out the hand pump if it has one.