1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Lub/Bar type tire on a Stander?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Shady Brook, Feb 18, 2004.

1. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

Has anyone tired a lug type tire similar to what the Dixie Choppers use on a Wright Stander? I wonder if there would be any fit problems. I would really like to get more traction with less rutting, has anyone tried this out yet?

Thanks
    Jay

2. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

let us know if you try it.

3. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

4. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

I've been through 4 different tires finding the right combo for my SWB. The long and short of it is, nothing is free. In other words, to get more traction either by a larger width tire or more aggressive tread pattern, turning becomes a very precise maneuver. One mistake and you rip a big hole in the lawn. Also, as you widen the tire, regardless of tread pattern, you will begin to tear the lawn a bit on the edges of the tire. Both of these scenarios make you turn slower and cost you precious time.
    I'd suggest either going to wider tire and do more K turning, or in my case, use the Carlisle "Turf saver", which is a non-aggressive "rounded" tread pattern, but is very forgiven in the turns.
    The way I look at is, I'd rather have a bit less traction, but not worry about making a turning mistake and killing the lawn.
    Here's the aggressive tread... great traction.........
    DP

rib.jpg

5. Doc Pete

Here's the turf saver tires.

turf saver.jpg

6. Doc Pete

OOP's my mistake..... these are "Turf mate tires", which is what I'm currenting using, not turf savers.

7. Doc Pete

Here's a pic of the stock tire, and a turf mate. The stock style of tire is fairly flat with sharp square edges, which is standard in design on riders and standers. The other tire is the "rounded" turf mate style and is much more forgiving with it's rounder smoother edges.

tire difference.jpg