1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Lube Cables On Mowers?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mow betta, Mar 7, 2003.

1. mow betta

mow betta LawnSite Member
    from Canada

Do you guys oil or grease the control cables (throttle, blade brake etc.) on your machinery for longer cable life and ease of use or does lubing just attract dirt and cause more trouble than its worth?
  2. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

I never lube throttle and choke type cables because you really just simply can't get anything in them. Other type of cables like aircraft type cables (like for parking brakes) those type I would try to grease somehow (clean dirt off first) if possible because those kinds of cables can fray (if they are real old and worn). I don't mean it happens on parking brake cables but on cables of that type it can.
  3. ducky1

ducky1 LawnSite Senior Member

It depends on the type of cable. If it has a plastic liner around the wire it wont do much good to try to lube it. If you can take the wire out of the housing, especially when it is new, you can coat the wire with grease and put it back in the housing. That will help increase the life of your cable. Some cables can just be sprayed with some good lube and it will soak through the cable.
    I have even used motorcycle chain lube to coat the housing to keep out moisture. Will pick up dust on the outside. We keep a z bend tool to put a z bend back in our new cables when we cut off the z bend to get the wire out of a new one. Some cables that have a special end on them, don't cut.
  4. hoagie

hoagie LawnSite Member

There's a nice little tool called a cable luber... can be found at your local motorcycle dealer.

It clamps onto the cable just outside of the housing and is tightened down snug to the housing w/ a rubber diaphram... there is a little hole in the side for the tip of the little red straw on the can of WD-40 to fit in.

It only costs 4 or 5 bucks, real easy to use. Cables slide like new, and there is no mess all over your fingers.
  5. BaltLawns

BaltLawns LawnSite Member

We use the cable lube tool too. My guys think i am nuts with main't. We also use spray lithium grease religiously on all moving parts. Metal on metal is never good. Grease and grime is easily eliminated with degreaser and a steam power washer, they are more expensive but well worth the money.
  6. ducky1

ducky1 LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like I had better find me a motorcycle dealer.
  7. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I only lube the cables on the 21" mower.
  8. Mark P

Mark P LawnSite Senior Member

:) I do the best i can but the small cables are a PITA, Ill be checking out that cable luber, I do try my best to lube my equipment and keep it looking and working its best.....Marks Mowing Service
  9. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

That little red plastic tub on the wd-40 can works fine. Just put a shot in there to stop the rust.