1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Lubricate blade nuts with what?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by watatrp, May 10, 2006.

1. watatrp

watatrp LawnSite Senior Member

I'd like to know what is good for lubricating the nuts and bolts that hold the blades on a commercial rider. I've found that different conditions sometimes cause them to almost be frozen on. I spent an hour last night with a breaker bar and a 4 foot long pipe trying to get them off. Sometimes they come off so easy and sometimes it's like they are welded on. I've tried WD40 and other types of spray on lithium grease. What does everyone use and what works best.
  2. greasy_gun

greasy_gun LawnSite Senior Member

'Anti-Seize Lubricant', made by permatex.
    Should be able to find it at most parts houses.
    In a dark gray plastic bottle.
  3. Killswitch

Killswitch LawnSite Senior Member

lol...the lube from hell.

Dont get that stuff on your hands or clothes.
  4. viking72

viking72 LawnSite Member

Never-seize, or one of the many clones.
  5. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

remember--any lube will allow the nut/bolt to tighten further...as well as hopefully be more easy to remove.......

6. aDreamSoReal

aDreamSoReal LawnSite Member

7. ocelot27

ocelot27 LawnSite Member
    from PA

Get an impact wrench - either electric or air - only use it for removing the blades not putting them back on - use torque wrench and apply the specified torque - usually around 50-80 ft-lbs.
    - john.
  8. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I agree with John, the best lube is the correct torque when you tighten the nut. I've put thousands of hours on mowers and I've never had a blade nut tighten up on me.
  9. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Actually every now and then when it looks like they're getting dry, or if I start to have difficulty getting them off, I will take my little oiler bottle (that I just use SAE 30 motor oil in) and hit each bolt with a squirt... Ever since I started doing this 2 years ago I have never had one stuck since, and before I did have a few get frozen on.

True story:
    2 years ago a family friend had me do a spring tune-up on her Toro personal pace 21", I sharpened the blade and while it was out i put a couple drops of oil on the bolt. This spring she had me do it again and that thing just zipped right off, the bolt was still a little moist with oil so I didn't re-lube it..

Anti-sieze compound works great too but motor oil is less messy to clean up, and cheaper and works in a pinch (who doesn't keep a quart on hand?)
  10. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

This comes under the heading of "spend some quality time with the owner's manual".

The only reason for a blade nut to be hard to remove is improper installation. Read the owner's manual and torque the blade nut to the right spec and it will never work tighten.

Until eXmark began using the splined insert the torque was 120 on and 120 off. If the blade was torqued to 90 it could work tighten and require around 300 to remove. 300 ft. pounds of torque is a bunch and sometimes it's easier to just grind off the head of the bolt and then the bolt can be unscrewed with your fingers.

Been there, done that & bought the tee shirt