1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

lubricating hedge trimmers???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GarPA, Jun 15, 2003.

1. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

Did a search on titles only and didn't find much on what we're to use to occasionally lube our hedge trimmers. Consensus seemed to be that wd40 was harmful to plants and I agree. Some use a silicon based product but some guys think the silicone will cause a buildup. Just wondering what you are are using on yours...if anything. I suppose any kind of petrol based product will impact the plant to some degree....thanks
  2. wissel_landscaping

wissel_landscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from ohio

I have always used pb blaster on mine i'm sure it isnt good for the shrub but i have been using it for years and have had no problems so far.
  3. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

what the heck is pb blaster?? dahh
  4. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't remember which thread it was but, someone uses water. I think Jim Lewis posted it.
  5. wissel_landscaping

wissel_landscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from ohio

pretty much the same as wd-40, liquid wrench.
  6. ffemt1271

ffemt1271 LawnSite Bronze Member

how about some vegetable oil in a spray bottle?
  7. sheppard

sheppard LawnSite Senior Member

Great question! I've noticed when I trimmed some wax myrtils after I put wd-40 all over the blades that they browned almost over night.

Love to find something that doesn't hard hedges but will keep the 'gumminess' out of the blades.

8. WD-40 is trash. But, it’s got a catchy name and it’s in all the stores so it sells. Someone suggested water, well use WD-40 and it will pull water from thin air. That’s right, it actually attracts moisture.

I don’t have a good suggestion because everything I’ve tried lately is not satisfactory. There used to be some stuff on the market called “Break Free” and it was excellent. I’ve found it in squeeze bottles, but the aerosol spray cans have become scarce.
  9. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

Use vegetable, or canola oil.
  10. I've been using chainsaw bar & chain oil.

It has a real high viscosity and stays on a long time.

I'm sure it isn't eco-friendly or anything like that.
    But I don't have to put it on that often so not much gets on the bushes.

It hasn't been making the taxus brown. Not gumming up either.

Is anyone else using it or tried it?

OH, Plus it's cheaper than dirt. I think $1.97 a gallon.