Lucas....not what it's cracked up to be?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tb8100, Feb 11, 2008.

1. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

2. Turf Commando

Turf Commando LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't believe everything, I see anyways ...
    However, I use LUCAS and think it's the sh1t, I also Like Dura lube that stuff is SLICK...

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

It ain't a good test using dino 80w90 vs. synth 80w140, those two are nowhere near close in viscosity...
    That's almost like comparing 5w30 to 20w50 then acting all amazed at the differences because one is synth the other is not.
    I'm not amazed the 80w140 didn't climb, that's way thicker than 80w90 to start with.
    I'd like to see that test again, with both sides using 80w90 one of them synth.

Dunno what Bob was thinking, he's usually pretty straight with his stuff.
    Took me a while to catch it, too :laugh:

As for the Lucas, I'd have to guess it thinned the synth out some, probably because it was so thick most any thinner petrol product would have. But I very rarely dump additives in mine, and when I do it's because I got a serious problem and nothing left to lose.

4. tb8100

from TX

Look at the bottom....15w40 vs 15w40 motor oil...

5. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

I firmly believe that if you use quality oil and maintain a good schedule for changing it, you don't need additional additives. I asked a very knowledgeable mechanic about this very subject and he confirmed the problem with additives like Lucas causing foaming and engine wear.

I'm a synthetic man now.:cool2::cool2:

6. tb8100

from TX

Regardless of the viscosity, the foaming is not kosher at all. I will never put any in my truck again!

7. kleankutslawn

kleankutslawn LawnSite Bronze Member

lol.so who is right?

8. Mowing Freak

Mowing Freak LawnSite Senior Member
    from S.E. Ks

I have had 2 mechanics notice the same problem with lucas. If you want to use it, that is your choice and freedom. I chose not to.

9. tb8100

from TX

topsites and turf commando are yanks....who do you think is right?? :hammerhead::hammerhead:

:)laugh:)

10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Huhuhu delo ain't synth, I think it's oil for diesels but I'm not sure, but synth it isn't.
    And Bob never dumped the Lucas into the Shaeffer side, why, because it was doing fine?
    Maybe so but when someone dumps Lucas into their engine most of us can't see that...

And I hate to break the news but VA is SOUTH of the line, we might be a bit up here but we still rednecks :laugh:

Absolutely.