1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

lucas oil stabilizer, a good thing to put in engines?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by TClawn, Aug 6, 2005.

1. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

I was in napa, and saw a bottle of lucas oil stabilizer, and was wondering if it does any good. it says that it "prevents dry starts" which I assume to mean when the oil drained down to the bottom, and it is running "dry" for a bit on startup.

if it is a good thing to use, should I use the 100% petrolium, or the synthetic? I am running mobil 1 10w-30 in all my engines.
  2. fourseasonlawns

fourseasonlawns LawnSite Member

I use lucas synthetic oil stabilizer in my truck engine and rear differential. for some reason I've never thought of putting it in my lawn mowers. learn something new every day!
  3. TClawn

well, I figure that lawn mower engines shoudl be classified as "high performace" engines due to the high rpms that the run.
  4. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Hmmm, high rpms. 3600 rpms isnt too high imo. But I wouldnt put the stuff in your mower. Only more $$ every oil change imo.
  5. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: ive been using for years and the stuff seems to be awesome, i have kohlers with 3000+ hours and all my engines have them in them from the day i buy them. its also done wonders for my 96 f250 with 210,000 miles on it, the truck used to have a pretty good low end knock havent heard it since using lucas in the crank. tony
  6. weve

weve LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Central Illinois

Dixie Chopper now uses Lucas 15W40 High TBN Truck Oil in all engines from the factory and also the hydro system. This is not a synthetic oil but has the additives that are in the Heavy Duty Oil Stabilizer.

My Yanmar engine was leaking oil this past spring -- I think from the rear main seal. I added Lucas Heavy Duty Oil Stabilizer at the next oil change and more than 100 hours later there seems to be no leak at all.
  7. TClawn

and what percentage of lucas/oil do you put in?
  8. fourseasonlawns

fourseasonlawns LawnSite Member

I use approx 20 percent lucas.
    truck takes 5 quarts. 4 quarts oil and one quart lucas.
  9. easycareacres

easycareacres LawnSite Senior Member

lucas i have used for some time, but to hear bad about putting in diffs as foams to much. Heres a site you might see the test done to show.
  10. TClawn

from what I am reading there, it is a bad idea to put it in engines, because where there is air, ther is not oil.

there are gear in the sump that will make the oil additive foam as shown there.
    I'm not sure now. there is a product called "dura lube" (for engines lol) and I friend that I trust a lot uses that in his engines.

I've got an E-mail off to kohler. thanks.