Lucrative add-on service?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by billc, Oct 12, 2004.

1. billc

billc LawnSite Member

Happy Tails, Inc.

In 30 hours a week, this guy averages 280 dogs at $9.00 a poop, er, pooch.

What about a crew doing this? Maybe the poop could become fertilizer you sell to the customer.....

2. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

This has been discussed on here several times. I for one do not want to clean up other people’s dog waste! Good idea if you can handle the smell.

Gravely_Man

3. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

Is Dog Poop a Pain in the Grass? :p

If the service can really be performed that fast, then it sounds great. $2500 a week with very little overhead. Are you sure this guy does this Solo? he would have to be doing one dog every 6 minutes counting drive time. But even $1500 in 30 hours would be good with no overhead. I say give it a try.

4. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Gold Member

Absolutely DO NOT sell it on it's benefits as a fertilizer. Dogs are carnivores and therefore have bacteria that herbivores do not have. That bacteria can then turn up in gardens and edible plant material. Read: E Colli bacteria.

Do sell it on the clean-up aspect that they are helping to protect the environment as dog poop is potentially the worst contaminent of a water supply that there is. It's worse than fertilizer run-off from fields and worse than motor oil your neighbor dumps down the sewer. Why? It's a bacterial contaminent and a leading contributor of E Colli. Becoming ill from oil-tainted water is different than becoming ill from a possible disease.

My wife works for one of the leading pet food companies so I've read enough about this to bore the hell out of you.

Tony

5. wagner17

wagner17 LawnSite Member

Tonygreek,
    You are absolutely correct. I have known people who have tried this and ended up regretting it. Also, dog doo does not belong in a compost bin as well. Thanks for passing on the info!

6. dkeisala

dkeisala LawnSite Senior Member

I don't even like picking up after my own dogs, can't imagine doing it for someone else. There are a couple of businesses around here that do just that though and one of them has been around for a few years now so they must be doing something right.

7. The C Man

The C Man LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

8. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

His site says Bonded and Insured what the hell is he insured for mishandling dog poo what could he possibly do that would get him sued. Besides the obvious throwing up all over the client’s property. That has to be the worse job for ones self esteem that has ever been created can you imagine being in school and bringing your dad the dog poo king in for show and tell LOL. I only wish Sam Kinison had lived to hear about this trade I can almost hear his yell now as he goes off on this.

9. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

And he shows up in a chauffeur driven limo lol the "top dog" :rolleyes:

Mac

10. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Bill, how did you get the scoop (LOL! Pun intended) on this guy as far as # of hours he works, and # of dogs he has? Did you contact him, or do you know him or something?