Lug Tires on a ZTR

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tsh1773, May 24, 2007.

1. tsh1773

tsh1773 LawnSite Senior Member

The first question is, where can I find a 23x9.5-12 lug tire? It's for my Tiger Cub. For those of you who run lug tires is the ride alot rougher than with turf savers? The reason I'm asking is I get alot wheel spin and need more traction. It seems to me that with lugs I'd get better traction and less turf damage from the turf savers losing traction. Opinions?
  2. wall

wall LawnSite Member

I am thinking of trying the same thing on my Tiger Cub. The only tires I have found are manufactured by Carlisle Tire and Wheel Company..... I’m thinking of getting a spare set of rims and adding the 23/10.5/12 Power Trac II Chevron tires for better traction on some of the hills I mow. I believe the rounded shoulder on the Power Trac II would be easier on the turf when turning. But with the way this drought is looking I don't really even need a mower.
  3. locknut

locknut LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

IMHO a good compromise between a turf tire and a bar/AG tire is a heavy duty ATV tire like a Titan 489XT 6-ply.They don't mark the turf up like a bar tire,but leaps and bounds better traction than a turf tire.Here's a link to info and an internet seller.

I have two 23X10X12 489 XT's that I removed from a garden tractor before I traded it in.Like new with probably less than 10hrs on them.Cheap money plus ups if someone here needs them.
  4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Our Tiger Cub has Turf Master tires on it.....I got a Turf Saver by mistake as a replacement and it just don't have as much tread on the ground-I took it back. Carlisle makes both tires.
  5. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I understand the desire for more traction, but is the tip-over risk increased with a tire with more bite? The TurfMaster, or similar will slide, but if a different tire digs into the turf not allowing the machine to slide, I could be concerned the machine may tip much easily.

It is not one of those things one wants to do experiments.

If I am on a hillside and I tend to slide, my concern is the downside wheel will hit a hole, or some other obstruction, and suddenly be stopped from sliding. Now the momentum will tend to carry the machine over (rotation), rather than continuing to slide down the hillside.

Does anybody have any thoughts pro/con on my concern?
  6. EMTDUCK1984

EMTDUCK1984 LawnSite Member

you can use four wheeler tires if your careful b/c they will tear the grass instead of sliding
  7. LemkeLawns

LemkeLawns LawnSite Member

If you were to run bar tread, you will not slide. Youll have traction to climb the hill.
  8. dhardin53

dhardin53 LawnSite Senior Member

Some ATVs are not rate for the weight of a Z. I was ruining a friends Exmark the other day and was amazed how much his unit slipped when turning. That and the extremely noisy hydos.

With lug tires there is a issue with some sod tearing if your not schooled on how to turn in wet, poor sod conditions. But over all there great addition I feel.
  9. tsh1773

tsh1773 LawnSite Senior Member

Will a 23x10-12 or 23-10.5-12 tire fit a 23x9.5-12 rim
  10. dhardin53

dhardin53 LawnSite Senior Member

Shuould no problem.