lug tires

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 2 clowns mowing, May 7, 2006.

1. 2 clowns mowing

2 clowns mowing LawnSite Senior Member

i have a ferris 1500 w/48" deck. the drive tires seem to spin real easy. was thinking about putting lug tires on the ferris, maybe mount them backwards. because they spin only going in reverse. has anyone tried using lug tires on their zero turn mowers. i've heard they are great, but if they do spin they really tear up the ground.:weightlifter:
  2. dtelawncare

dtelawncare LawnSite Member

I have never tried any other tires, but a while back I was having a lot of trouble with my Exmark tires spinning. I let the tires pressure down to about 12psi and it has helped greatly.
  3. What kind of tires are you running now? Different turf tires have different amounts of traction. Like the Carslile Turf Master has better traction than the Carslile Turf Saver.
    I've only seen a couple of people mowing with the bar lug tires. They were on garden tractors. It was kind of wet tnd those tires were really leaving marks in the yard. From what I've seen I wouldn't recommend them for the soft ground we sometimes get around here.

4. 2 clowns mowing

not sure what tires on it . it is the original tires. maybe they are worn out? a grasshopper/jd dealer in wilmington said they only sell there ztr mowers with lug tires
  5. LawnGuy73

LawnGuy73 LawnSite Bronze Member

Putting some "lugs" on it will help with the tire spin, but you have to be careful when turning because it will tear the grass up really bad easy. Before you spend the money I would do what dtelawncare suggests.
  6. TJS

TJS LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Early last year I had a Mini Z. My yard has alot of trees and sloped to a pond. I thought I would get some lugged tires to keep from slipping and sliding. It helped some, but not enough to justify all the damage the tires caused. Now I have a 1500 Ferris with a 52" deck. Can't get real close to the pond, way to soft, but no tire rash. If anything, you might try wider tires.
    Good Luck :)
  7. SproulsLawnCare

SproulsLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member
    from IN

Wider tires WILL make a difference. I know there are subtle differences in the design of the JD757 and the JD 777 that help with traction on hill sides, but the 757 that I had was shipped with the optional narrow tires and the 777 I have has the wide tires. I used to slip all the time on the 757, but it doesn't seem to be a big issue on the 777 with wider tires.
  8. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

I have bar tires on a Super Z.
    I got them for mowing on slopes etc. They are shocking at digging up turf! Have to be so carefull when zero turning and turning on slopes isnt much better than turf savers. They still slide but also dig up the turf.
    Turning them backwards, while a little better with traction, was even worse when doing a zero turn.

Heres a thread where Ive said more about it....

Only get them as an absolute last resort.
  9. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Well, I thought about getting the same tires, as seen in the link provided by Mickhippy.
    In the end I decided against buying them.

The issue with ZTR's is weight distribution and leverage.
    NOTE > "they only spin going in reverse"

If you are trying to back up something, they spin > weight distribution

If you are trying to zero turn and swing the front end, the reversing tire spins > leverage

Your issues are likely worse than most because your machine is a lightweight.
  10. 2 clowns mowing

thanks for the info on lug tires:dancing: