1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Luke warm water

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TheChiefsLawnCare, Jun 18, 2008.

1. TheChiefsLawnCare

TheChiefsLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Man, what are some ideas to keep my water cold. I make 6 ice cubes that are the size of a mardi gras cup. I stick those in a 5 gallon water cooler and then after the first house, all the ice is gone. And the water isnt even that cold. What do you guys do to keep your water cool. What kinda coolers you guys using?

FIREMAN Q LawnSite Senior Member

I use a 5 gallon jug. I fill it up completely with ice and then I will add the water on top. it will usually last 2 days or so. stop into one of your local fire houses. they usually have ice machines and MAY let you get some everyday. otherwise bagged ice or if you have an ice maker in your fridge?
    maybe some tupperware containers that are a little bigger for bigger blocks?
  3. CHoniglandscapes

CHoniglandscapes LawnSite Member

I freeze 5 regular size gatorade bottles overnight and stick them in a reg cooler. They stay ice cold all day long. also I will freeze a gallon of water and keep a room temp gallon of water to add to the frozen one, this also will stay ice cold all day for me.
  4. Supper Grassy

Supper Grassy LawnSite Bronze Member

Get bags that seal tight and fill them with water and freeze them, you then have larger ice cubes
  5. Optimum Lawn

Optimum Lawn LawnSite Member

get a water jug with the insulated soft jacket that you can unzip from the plastic jug...mine is about 1 gallon in size. Take the jug and half fill it (or more) then toss into the freezer for the night. In the morning fill with water and will stay cold for the day (if really hot out wrap jug further in a blanket)
    Other choice is a Camel Back drink system and do the same thing...freeze the bladder half full of water and add water in morning.

Works GREAT
  6. nriddle77

nriddle77 LawnSite Senior Member

Plastic cups from the gas station. I use the quart size ones. Fill them half full, and freeze them, then add to water.
  7. okeefl

okeefl LawnSite Member

I use an Igloo Maxcold and it will hold ice for a day and a half here in the South Florida sun.

8. Sweet Tater

Sweet Tater LawnSite Silver Member

This is exactly what I do too. Lasts for a few days at least.
  9. trinity1

trinity1 LawnSite Member

MAx cold is the only way to go I keep it in the enclosed trailer and the ice is still there day and half later. WALMART 19.99
  10. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

I use an orange cooler from Home Depot. Fill it with 2 bags of ice, then water and its cold for 3 days. Ice stays for at least 2 days.