1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Luminaire Lights quit working

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by Markdeano, Mar 15, 2014.

1. Markdeano

Markdeano LawnSite Member

I have four of these high quality landscape control units. All of them quit and started coming on intermittently. Driving us nuts.

My electrician eventually gave up so I had him call the tech person at Luminaire and this is what he found out.

The cheap dusk to down eye that allows the lights to come on at night wasn't working due to storms etc apparently causing harm to all of them.

I ordered new ones for $10 per unit on Ebay, the best I could find based on cost.

To make sure this was the culprit, we bypassed the eye and looped it inside the box via my electrician doing this as per the tech's advice. The lights all came on and stayed on for two days straight to make sure all was well and it was.

Now the conundrum is finally over.

Kind regards,

2. Lite4

Lite4 LawnSite Gold Member

Was there a question in your statement you meant to ask, or were you just commenting on the FX Luminaire Transformer/controllers? Glad you solved the problem.
  3. Classic Lighting

Classic Lighting LawnSite Senior Member

Photocells are a common failure no matter who manufactured the transformer.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  4. starry night

starry night LawnSite Silver Member

Glad you found the trouble with your system. But I'm curious about how you found this forum and why you chose to post your story.
  5. S&MLL

S&MLL LawnSite Senior Member

Its such an interesting story why wouldn't he post it
    Posted via Mobile Device
  6. RLI Electric

RLI Electric LawnSite Senior Member

Matt, your sarcasm is lost on me:laugh:
  7. S&MLL

Bob what's not interesting about an EC not being able to figure out a simple photocell?

What's not interesting about a homeowner playing middle man between manu and Ec?

We must ask ourselfs these questions I guess

1. Where was this Ec trained and educated that he could not diagnose a basic photo cell issue
    2. Is this Ec really an Ec
    3. Why would this Ec want to work for a homeowner that seems to be nosy and a pita.
    4.Why didn't the ho hire a outdoor lighting company?
    5. Why does fx tech support waste time with ho's in the first place?
    6. Why did ho order photocells on ebay ? Why not let the Ec supply & install
    7. Why would ho come on here and make a public complaint about Fx's photocells
    8. Why do I troll this forum once a week

Acrynom explanation

Ho- home owner
    Ec- electrician
    Pita- pain in the ass
    Posted via Mobile Device
  8. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting LawnSite Platinum Member

Again, Lawnsite should install a "Like" or Favourite button. :)
  9. RLI Electric

RLI Electric LawnSite Senior Member

I couldn't imagine calling tech support only to have them say, "the photocell might be bad"
    I would have wanted to crawl under a rock, especially if the homeowner was there with me. Usually the first thing we would look at, dont you think?
    You would think they would at least have simply ordered an FX photocell. The time wasted searching the internet when simply ordering a new one from the original supply house would have taken 1 minute.
    As for the answer to #8, there is nothing else to do when the ground is frozen and there is no snow falling:drinkup:
  10. S&MLL

Why not ditch the photocell and transformer and fixtures and install solar lights?