Lumps in Lawn

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Prasino, May 1, 2001.

1. Prasino

Prasino LawnSite Member

I was called yesterday to come and look at this ladys lawn. She told me that she has lumps in her lawn, and wanted to know if i could do anything about it. I went to over today to take a look. The lumps were barley visible, but you can feel them when you walked on the grass. The lumps were rock hard. I have no clue what they can be, can any one Help?

2. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

My commerical property is very light soil. The little red ants love it.There are thousands of little 1" high cone shaped hills.Dosen't sound like much but you really notice them. I ran my 36" power brush over the thin grass area and it helped.

Gene

3. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

try using a roller on it, seems to work best when the ground is SLIGHTLY moist depending on how hard the soil actually is.

4. Daryl

Daryl LawnSite Member

Is there a river or water body nearby. Out here most properties along the river are very lumpy and bounce the mowers around like crazy. The cause are night crawlers. Great big huge worms some 10 inches long and almost as thick as a finger.

5. Daryl

Daryl LawnSite Member

Thought I better clarify my last posting. It's not the actual worms that cause the bouncing but rather their digging in the soil. And the lumps are rock hard.

6. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Funny that you post this as I am dealing with a guy who has the same problem on his lawn. He is midway down an incline and the yard is about 40 to 50 years old. The lot has 2 conifers and 2 hardwoods that are close to the same age on it. The grading is bad and you can tell where the moisture pools as it runs down the grade.
    I found the problem to be manyfold and hard to solve.
    Shallow tree roots are responsible for some of the bumps. Frost heave is another cause. Grading and the hard clay soil that we have here are also contributing factors. Both neighbors have similar problems.
    I core aerated the lawn last year and while I wasn't expecting any change to the roughness of the lawn it did need the aeration. I am personally not a great advocate of rolling a lawn but I know that spot rolling is beneficial if the areas are really heaved above the level of uniform mowing height. As was stated above, rolling slightly moist ground is the right way to attempt it.
    I am thinking that topdressing and overseeding may be a possibility but I believe the real cure to be to take out the existing lawn, add topsoil, regrade and reseed or sod the lawn. Let us know what you find.