Lumpy Lawn

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by globil, Apr 24, 2007.

1. globil

globil LawnSite Member

A customer of mine has a lawn that was planted about 5 tears ago. Now that settling has occurred the lawn is very bumpy. I know rolling isn't good for the turf, so what is the best way to level out the bumps?
  2. inspector gadget

inspector gadget LawnSite Member

I need to hear this one also!
  3. Nathan Robinson

Nathan Robinson LawnSite Senior Member
    from 47712

aerate as often as you can and the loose plugs will find there way to the low areas. I have never experienced this problem and I am not sure if that will work but it sounds like a time consuming but ultimately effective way. Nathan
  4. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

Harley rake it smooth! Don't forget to charge them for it.
  5. globil

globil LawnSite Member

Dave, Wouldn't a Harley rake tear up the existing turf ? I dont think this customer would pay for another new lawn after only 5 years.
  6. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes it would. I thought that's what you wanted. If you're a good salesman, you could sell them on it.
  7. globil

globil LawnSite Member

Sorry I wasn't clear on that point, but I'm looking to even out the bumps without doing excessive damage to the turf.
  8. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

I use a couple of different methods depending on what the customer wants, needs and expects.
    1. Really cheap. Tell customer to get a load of topsoil, wheelbarrow into small piles on lawn. Give him my chainlink matt to drag behind his mower. Tell him to buy some decent seed and a whirly bird spreader. Tell him what fert to use. Walk away.
    2. Cheap and quick. Get a load of sandy loose topsoil, dump small piles around the lawn. Use my Steiner with front mount 8' blade to level soil into low spots then drag my chain link fence to loosen things up again. Spread new seed then run drag over it again.
    3. Expensive and slower. Spray roundup, rototill, level, reseed and fert.Water water water.
    Sometimes you get what you pay for.
    If it's just lumpy from frost heaving I would just roll it.